CT-F9191 Idler B wheel

168Sierra

I am repairing a CT-F9191. I have MTF’s repaired FF/REW clutch and new belts. FF & REW work flawlessly but the take up reel is slow to start when I try to record or play. It looks like the Idler B wheel is not turning the take up reel. I can give it a push to start it turning and it works. At times it will start to drive the take up reel after a few seconds or the machine will stop because the tape is loose.

Should the Idler B wheel spin when the capstan is running before entering the Play/record mode and start driving the take up reel once the play/record mode is selected? IF so, is there a source for replacement Idler B wheels or a repair procedure?
Thanks in advance for the information and any advice/assistance that can be provided. I am just learning about these cassette decks.

The take up being slow could be the uncleaned/re-lubricated mechanical tape counter and tape motion sensor drag.
Use faderlube on both - (while keeping the belt path dry, or clean it with zero residue cleaner before putting the belts back on)

As a test, try slipping off the THIRD belt, between the tape motion sensor and the mechanical counter to reduce the drag (for now) while not affecting the lower drag tape motion sensor and see if that helps.

Also be sure the idler b surfaces are clean, a q-tip with zero residue cleaner or rubbing alcohol will work fine.

Hey all! Bringing this thread back to life as it relates to an issue i'm having. I have an MTF clutch too and am looking to replace my drive wheel, it slips from time to time even after a nice soak in Rubber Revitalizer. Any suggestions? I searched this forum with no luck.

I would buy the pulley and belt kits from http://www.wjoe.com/vintageandantiques.htm#piocf.

Excellent recommendation! Thanks so much, i'll use them in the future for other Pioneer repairs. However it seems i'm looking for the drive wheel, the previous links posted to replacement drive wheels have dried up. My drive wheel is functioning nice and stable as of now but upon visual inspection, it wont last beyond the next year or two at the rate i'm using it. It sounds too good not to use!! :) Any more recommendations would be much appreciated!

wjoe calls the drive tire, belt # 4 . If its a rubber part its usually referred to as a "tire" or "belt" . "Wheel" to me suggests a plastic part.

Back
Top Bottom