ct-f9191 rewind/ff tire

T

twintwelve1484

ct-f9191 questions

Just got my recently acquired (free!) CT-F9191 fitted with a belt kit tonight, but am having lackluster Rew FF performance. This unit doesnt use a belt for FF/REW, but rather a separate motor with a small 'tire' on the motor shaft that runs against ribbed wheels which are engaged against the tire.

I'm thinking that the rubber is worn or shrunk beyond spec. Where in hell can I get another?

Temporary trick: Hair spray on a q-tip.

Last edited by a moderator:
I talked to Bob, and he doesn't have the actual tire on the motor, but suggested roughing it up a bit, so I kicked it a few times and punched it with my fist. bwahhahaha. Actually, I roughed it up with sandpaper, and that helped a lot. I also dropped voltage on the selector to 110V from 120, thinking that the motors would get a little more juice from the 115V at the wall, and then adjusted the playback motor accordingly. FF is acceptable, REW is weak at the very end of the tape...going to order the REW and FF tires from Bob, he does have those.

MORE QUESTIONS:

I'm confused by the VU meters on this thing. Firstly, not sure why the VU meters are ganged to the output...turning the output up or down changes the output of the meters in playback. WTF? What use is that?

Also, tapes recorded ON this deck with acceptable VU settings in record are woefully low in level on playback on other equipment (a Teac A-360 and an Onkyo deck, notably). There are two small screw adjustments, one below each meter. Is that some sort of calibration adj for the meters, and what's the procedure? I'd rather not have to peg the shit out of the meters in record to get acceptable playback levels across decks.

Also, the left channel records a little quieter than the right. Seems to me this was not uncommon with cassette decks that I've had in the past. Again, is there an adjustment?

Other than that, an excellent and beautiful deck.

I would not suggest you start right in on attempting adjustments on your deck until you are *sure* that's the only way. Much of what you've described as rec/playback symptoms are just that.

My first haunch is to ensure that the heads are not worn. You can tell this with a known-good alignment tape that has pre-recorded levels on them. I assume you've confirmed that the head is aligned and that *all* the tape guides in the tape path are not bent or skewed in some way. I would always suspect a mechanical problem first before an electrical problem.

Most decks of this era had certain spots on the output level controls that provided a calibrated output with a certain level on the tape. See if there aren't some sort of tick marks somewhere on the output levels for such a thing - an owner's/service manual wouldn't hurt to have for this.

Also, the play/rec switches on these high-end decks were quite complicated and prone to corrosion and the resulting poor contacts. Make sure those are well-cleaned before any sort of adjustments, too.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

David

I own a F9191. First The meters, the screws below are for 0 adj of the meters
The meters are to show overload for Record so you don't overload the tape and are connected to output so you don't overload your amp. Parts are scarce. As far as the low output on other decks could mean a aliment problem or bad heads or dirty heads, How does it play the recorded tapes? if it plays them fine I would think a Aliment is needed.

Ron

Back
Top Bottom