CT-S99WR opinions

Discussion in 'Pioneer Audio' started by Quad4Life, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Quad4Life

Quad4Life Member

Hello everyone,

I have a lead on a Pioneer CT-S99WR dual cassette deck for $50.00 in working condition. The wood end panels are in great shape. Just needs a good cleaning.

Is this deck a good one and is the price reasonable? The price as tagged at the shop is $65 but they are willing to let it go for $50.

Thanks in advance for your words of wisdom.

Bobby

2. Quad4Life

Quad4Life Member

Hello everyone,

Apparently no opinions either way on this particular deck, but that's ok. I did some research and from what I've found it looks like it'll be worth the $50.00, at least to me. It had some good reviews at the time of its release and it seems the wood side panels were available only on units sold to US military personnel.

I will pick it up later this week and I will update with first impressions once I've cleaned it up and put it through its paces.

Thanks,

Bobby

3. Awesomeaudio

Awesomeaudio AK Subscriber Subscriber

Maybe you should have posted this in the tape section. There are alot of tape heads that hang there.
    I'd still be interested how you got in with this unit as I do have a few decks myself.
    All the best :thumbsup:

4. Quad4Life

Quad4Life Member

Thanks Awesomeaudio. I didn't think to post in that forum. I just figured it was Pioneer so this one should provide some input as there are many who have experience with the brands cassette decks. Next time I will think to post there too.

I bought the deck yesterday. For being made in 1986, it is a well built unit. All metal chassis including the cassette mechanism frames, though the front face is plastic. Single motor belt drive capstans with decent sized flywheels on each. The motors are the same size as the one in my older Pioneer cassette deck. Same manufacturer too. The reel drives are single motor gear drive. The only other motor is a servo that I believe is for the auto reverse head changeover. The power supply has the largest transformer I've seen in a cassette deck with plenty of regulation to go around.

The unit has a lot of neat features including recording to both decks simultaneously from a single source, dbx noise reduction as well as dolby B & C, track playback program and more. The dolby circuit is discrete for the right and left channels. The one thing I like the most are the wood end panels, which indicate this was purchased through a military exchange.

What ultimately helped in my decision to purchase the unit is this article from October of 1985: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...503110346_1_decks-two-tape-transports-machine.

The attached pictures are before I cleaned the tape paths and blew the dust out. I've been putting it through its paces including dubbing a tape and general playback. I'm listening to a tape right now. The only issue I've found is that the belt on deck one is slipping just slightly. It is very apparent on a couple problem cassettes that have some drag. So I will be looking for new ones soon. I also think I need to hit it with the demagnetizer again, too.

I'll be using it while trying to resolve an issue with the CT-F7171. I installed a WJOE belt kit which has improved overall performance, but it slows down and stops midway through the problem cassettes mentioned earlier. Seems the pinch roller slips or otherwise has trouble pulling the tape along due to the internal drag of the cassette. Once I get this resolved, I will get the belts for the CT-S99WR and get it running at its best.

Overall, my experience thus far has been great with this deck. I believe the $50.00 was money well spent, especially given its a much better machine than my late 90's Denon unit that had the right channel die again in deck 1. That unit is going on eBay for parts or repair.

Have a great evening.

Bobby

Attached Files: