Cuban jazz anyone?

Al27

I've enjoyed these 2 albums for a number of years:
Marc Ribot y Los Cubanos Postizos
Buena Vista Social Club

I've been looking for similar music. Arsenio Rodriguez keeps coming up, but his recordings are mostly from the 30's-50's and the sound quality leaves me wanting.

Anyone have any suggestions? What I like about these albums in particular is the sparse, clean recordings; not a ton of percussion and horn sections.

Thanks,
Al

I've just started exploring Cuban Jazz, Afro-Cuban Jazz and Afrobeat. Some really exciting music in there. Not sure what you mean by a ton of percussion and horn sections. Here are a few I have liked.

Palo!- They have several albums out. This cut is on their Live CD.

Irakere

My favorite group of Afrobeat is Newen Afrobeat. A real high energy band.

There is a lot of great stuff posted on the "Latin Jazz and Salsa" playlist, which isn't all Cuban music, or even Latin jazz and salsa, but covers a lot of different styles found in the Caribbean, Central and South America, including Brazil, and right here in the states.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/todays-latin-jazz-salsa-playlist.435497/

And don't give up on Arsenio because of sound quality! One of the giants of Cuban music.

Enjoyed the Buena Vista thing (the film) and have the soundtrack, and while I don't listen to it a lot, i do manage to spin it 1-2x per year.

I do also enjoy the so-called "Afro-Cuban Jazz" style of Tito Puente, an American (born NYC) of Puerto Rican descent, but who was, nonetheless, a devotee of musica cubana.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I'm the OP, I guess I was kinda vague in terms of percussion/horns. I know both are an integral part of the musical style, but I'm finding I prefer smaller ensembles... I'm listening to Ruben Gonzalez as recommended above and digging it. Piano, bass, 2(?) percussionists and winds as soloists.

I really love the sound of the tres, as a guitarist I'd love to find one and learn to play it...

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I'm the OP, I guess I was kinda vague in terms of percussion/horns. I know both are an integral part of the musical style, but I'm finding I prefer smaller ensembles... I'm listening to Ruben Gonzalez as recommended above and digging it. Piano, bass, 2(?) percussionists and winds as soloists.

I really love the sound of the tres, as a guitarist I'd love to find one and learn to play it...

Dig this...

Actually, now that I'm thinking of it, Nino might not be featured too much on it even though it's his album. But the tunes are great, and he's in there. Check out Nino on YouTube. He also did some great things with the great Cuban bassist, Cachao. Check out Cachao's stuff, for sure.

Besides Nino Rivera, if you like tres, also check out recordings with the great Yomo Toro, a great Puerto Rican tres player.

You also might like Julio Gutierrez's Jam Session LPs.

EDIT: Yomo Toro mostly played the cuatro, actually.

Last edited:
I have a videotape of Arturo Sandoval playing in Prague in 1984. Really killer stuff. Been meaning to look into what's on record by this particular band.

I'm going to Cuba in 2 months. I think I'll put a "watch" on this thread. I also just found out there is going to be a Drum Festival in Havana when we are there! :)

http://www.fiestadeltamborpopular.com/en/

Good for you; enjoy. It is a different world, but the people are _awesome_.

Some random artist suggestions (the OP will have to listen and make decisions regarding the instrument content and acceptable SQ standards), spanning the Latin Jazz/Salsa/Folklorica realm:

*Cubanismo
*Ruben Blades y Seis del Solar
*Los Hombres Calientes (heavily Latin-flavored New Orleans Jazz)
*Ray Barretto
*Gonzalo Rubalcaba
*Compay Segundo
*Poncho Sanchez
*Sierra Maestra
*Chucho Valdes
*Fania All-Stars
*Celia Cruz
*Ibrahim Ferrer
*Machito
*Any of the Latin Putumayo collections

GJ

Yes indeed!

I became a fan of the Buena Vista Social Club when the movie came out years ago and I later bought their DVD.

Back
Top Bottom