Cubdog's Open Baffle Build

I was referring to the Alpha and ANs together vs. the ANs by themselves. No big deal just curious.
The sensitivity of the speakers is the same in either arrangement, but output vs volume knob(s) position will vary depending on how you have things set up.

I hope your open baffle speakers knock your socks off! That way, you can sell me your Sony SS-M7's without a second thought.

My frustration continues and it is unfortunately tempering my enjoyment of these speakers. No matter what I try I still am getting some noise, distortion feedback, call it what you will, from one channel. I thought it might have something to do with my wiring because it's apparent with all the amps I've tried. But no, I hooked up another speaker and the noise is still there. Now I'm thinking it might be my preamp/dac that's causing the problem. I hope not as I really like this unit. It's never given me a problem before but none of my gear has until now. I'm completely baffled by this issue. I'll switch to a different preamp but if that doesn't solve things these speakers will have to go into storage or sold for parts as I can't tolerate the distortion. :thumbsdn:

cubdog

Have you reconnected one of the Sony at any point? They should have the exact same noise with any given config, except at a very significant 10-15dB lower level.

Not helpful for troubleshooting the noise problem, but it might be helpful for your sanity to hear what's changed due to wiring / gear changes / something else, vs. what's the same as ever but just louder.

Just by process of elimination i.e. rotating gear in and out you should be able to determine where the noise is coming from.

As I explained I did hook up another speaker and heard the same noise I'm hearing with the OBs.

The noise is coming from the Alphas. Both of them so I doubt that it's an issue with a driver.

Despite the issues the speakers sound very nice. I'm sure all of you understand that the noise I'm hearing is simply unacceptable for long term use. Compounding the noise issue is the fact that the active crossover I bought is either defective, incompatible or due to my ignorance not being used. I'm not whining, I know my limitations when it comes to DIY, but it seems like everything that could go wrong with this project has. It's times like these that I wish I still lived in a city and not a town of 4,000.

cubdog

Hope things start falling in place soon. Maybe some pictures of your wiring might help if switching equipment around doesn't help. Good luck.

I say sell it all off and start from scratch. :)

J/K I'm sure you'll eventually get it sorted out. Sorry for all your frustrations.

- Woody

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I tried a different preamp today. The same problems as with the Bel Can to pre. So it's not the pre. I've used four different amps with the same results. I tried a different set of speakers with the same buzzing audible so I don't believe I have faulty wiring in the O. B.s. Needless to say I remain at a loss. :scratch2:

cubdog

If you have the same problem with all your gear, then that gear probably works fine.
There must be something all the configs you have tried have in common, that is faulty.

Electrical issue? rogerfederer could be right.

I just remembered something, I'm not sure if it's true though.

I remember reading that some balanced audio devices are wired differently then others.
The XLR connectors have three pins, 1, 2 and 3, pin #1 should be the shield, #2 +, #3 -.
But if the active crossover uses the pins differently, you could end up in a situation where the shield is used as a conductor for the audio signal, and that could cause noise.

I would suspect something with the house wiring being at fault. Except, this is the same outlet, same location, I have always used with other systems and never before had any of these issues.

The noise is driving me nuts. I'm about ready to give up.

cubdog

You haven't been able to isolate the noise to one particular unit?
Can you make a noise free setup? (using very high efficiency speakers).

I would suspect something with the house wiring being at fault. Except, this is the same outlet, same location, I have always used with other systems and never before had any of these issues.

The noise is driving me nuts. I'm about ready to give up.

cubdog

Do you have one of these? If not, you might want to pick one up. It can help you diagnose simple wiring issues pretty much instantly.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-Receptacle-Tester-RT100/203195018

90e7cf4c-71e3-4220-ad76-5b8adbf09698_400.jpg

Back
Top Bottom