cubdogs system

Nice Cub. Interesting evolution. Can you give us a description of the difference in sound between the two?

I assume you mean the difference between the CF3s and the SS-M7. Well both are extremely easy to listen to. The CF3s are the smoothest Klipsch I have every heard. They have great bass and a very nice mid range. Imaging is pretty good for a large floorstanding speaker. The Sonys image like a bookshelf but can dig a little deeper than most due to their size. The Sonys are very coherant and I believe that is their greatest strength. While they don't seem to be outstanding in any one area they do nothing wrong. They never draw attention to themselves but simply allow the music to be the star.

cubdog

Well I have some new speakers in my main system. I've moved the Sony's upstairs into the living room. The ADS L710s that were there are now in our computer room.

I built the cabinets for the new speakers myself. :D As some of you know I'm in the middle of building some open baffle speakers. Obviously then this is just a temporary phase.

Let me tell you though if these Audio Nirvana Super Cast 8 full range drivers didn't sound great, as is, they would not be in use. They are fantastic speakers! I have to admit I like them better than the Sony's. I can't wait until the OB project is finished.

cubdog

Attachments

• IMG_1825.jpg
    IMG_1825.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_1827.jpg
    IMG_1827.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 150
Nice! I imagine WAF is high on the cardboard box cabinets :D

Look forward to seeing the final results.

Ross, can't wait to hear those Audio Nirvana. Common Sense Audio offers so many options, magnet types, etc. How did you decide on which ones to go with? Did you go down there to audition them? That would be a great field trip from Chicago. Let's go sometime! Are they extremely efficient?

Ross, can't wait to hear those Audio Nirvana. Common Sense Audio offers so many options, magnet types, etc. How did you decide on which ones to go with? Did you go down there to audition them? That would be a great field trip from Chicago. Let's go sometime! Are they extremely efficient?

I didn't have a chance to demo them although that would have been ideal. I kind of knew I wanted 8 inch drivers so I went with what I could afford and what seemed good from what I read.

I'm very impressed with these despite the funky looking cabinets. They are so clear and truly disappear. I can only imagine what they will sound like in the finished OB. It will be fun to compare them to your KEFs.

cubdog

Well I have some new speakers in my main system. I've moved the Sony's upstairs into the living room. The ADS L710s that were there are now in our computer room.

I built the cabinets for the new speakers myself. :D As some of you know I'm in the middle of building some open baffle speakers. Obviously then this is just a temporary phase.

Let me tell you though if these Audio Nirvana Super Cast 8 full range drivers didn't sound great, as is, they would not be in use. They are fantastic speakers! I have to admit I like them better than the Sony's. I can't wait until the OB project is finished.

cubdog

I see your "HiFi for the Homeless" program is coming along nicely .:D

I bought a Magnavox console to use as an equipment rack. The console and my house are both about 55 years old so it's a good fit. Also shown is one of my new open baffle speakers.

cubdog

Attachments

• console.jpg
    console.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 102

cubdog

Knowing the reputation of those Sonys here that really says a lot. Hope you can get your OB project sorted. Ya know, those ANs sound pretty damn good in bass reflex cabs, too.

Very nice Cub. How do they sound? Also I thought you were using Bel Canto mono blocks for amplification, when did you get the Shuguang?

Very nice Cub. How do they sound? Also I thought you were using Bel Canto mono blocks for amplification, when did you get the Shuguang?

They sound great. The whole move to OB speakers has been a very long and, for me, frustrating story. It's been documented in my build thread in the DIY Forum. Long story short I'm now committing a cardinal sin of running the speakers, minus any crossover, full range from a single amp. You know what? Against all odds they sound great. Eventually, I'll sort out all the problems and set them up properly. I'll use the Bel Cantos at that point and possibly use the Magnavox tube amp hidden within the console pictured to drive the Audio Nirvanas up top.

As to the Shuguang, I bought that from Grant Fidelity this past spring. Great sounding amp! I really missed an earlier tube amp I sold a couple years ago. I need to sell some stuff for funds then the Maggie will get refurbished.

cubdog

So I did finally get a Maggie up and running. Not my original one, long story, but another, same model, never-the-less. Long over due but well worth the wait. I've been playing her with some Klipsch CF3s as well as my Sony SS-M7s. This particular amp had a modest refurb done along with some nice binding posts and power cord receptacle added. Eventually, I think this amp will find it's way into my art studio if I can figure out a way to protect it from the debris I create. No hurry though I'm really enjoying it in my main system for now. Here is a picture of her sitting atop my RGR Model 5. The console, that I'm using as a gear rack, used this verySAM_0536.JPG model amplifier to power everything. Hopefully I'll get that one back one day.

Always enjoy watching your systems evolve.

Now if we can only get those OB's bi-amped. Maybe a Rolls SX45 and if it doesn't help you can return it to Amazon.

Back
Top Bottom