Curious about choke measurements

EastPoint

Recycler
Subscriber
Hi folks,

I pulled a pair of chokes off of an old power supply. These are HUGE, probably about 4" x 4", and they have extremely thick connection wires--we're talking solid wire, not stranted, and probably 14 or 12 gauge. I tested them on my little Chinese multi-tester, which I've used to test chokes before, and both test around .2 ohms and 22-25 mH. Both of those seem low--I'm used to chokes testing around 100-200 ohms and 5-15 henries. These have to be chokes, right? They each only have two wires. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_6639.JPG
    IMG_6639.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 44
yup, not HV filter chokes. Would make for a nice clean DC supply for something. Have any thoughts on an over-built amp or preamp running DC heaters?

Hi folks,

I pulled a pair of chokes off of an old power supply. These are HUGE, probably about 4" x 4", and they have extremely thick connection wires--we're talking solid wire, not stranted, and probably 14 or 12 gauge. I tested them on my little Chinese multi-tester, which I've used to test chokes before, and both test around .2 ohms and 22-25 mH. Both of those seem low--I'm used to chokes testing around 100-200 ohms and 5-15 henries. These have to be chokes, right? They each only have two wires. Any thoughts?
They are filament chokes for filtering low voltage like in 300B amps 2ll , 845, etc.

Back
Top Bottom