curious case of Yamaha Tuner T-70

DaaDaa

Set the controls for the heart of the pun
so i like to liten to NPR and the local rock channel and i picked up a yamaha Tuner T-560 which matches my silver EL34 tube amp in appearance and the CA-2010 amp that im trying to restore so i like the wat it looks and it sounds very good too considering that i am using an 8 dollar walmart indoor antenna. I wanted to improve the sound and outdoor or bigger antennas are currently out of the question so i figured maybe a more technologically advanced and just newer tuner would be better and i saw this mint T-70 and bought it. but it sounds worse. it just sounds a little bit fuzzier (background noise) and a little less warm and live compared to the T-560.

I opened it up to try to do the alignment and i noticed two things:

1 - from the slight initial click of the screws when unscrewing to the pristine insides, not a speck of dust, it seems like it has never been opened.
2 - it is missing the fuses!!!!!!

i mean im not even sure why it is working? has it been rewired to not need fuses?

xdq7Xa7.jpg

so what do you all think is up with that? should i stick two fuses in there?

Last edited:
upon further inspection. i do not think that it is been rewired, i think it is just manufactured with the fuses bypassed! because the solder joints looks so uniform and clean, i dont think that its been tampered with so i guess i wont mess with that. I guess ill try aliment.

////////////

the circuitry is much more sophisticated than i expected

I opened it up to try to do the alignment
Do you have an AM/FM signal generator, Distortion analyzer, Frequency counter and oscilloscope? And know how to use them. ? If not. Don't even try to align or tweek anything in there.

have access to both signal generator and scope in the lab but not the other ones. what is a distortion analyser? lol i didnt know that it is a thing

Last edited:
this page is specifications page , not adjustment page
If you never did this adjustment before don't even try to do it
I am very surprised that you think that adjustments will resolve your troubles ....Did you connect an antenna for FM reception (300ohm or 75 ohm) ?
The square black plastic one is AM antenna not FM

May these pages may help you that tuner adjustment is not a game and need experience and time (without talking about the necessary tools )

T70-adjustments-pages.JPG

its not troubles really. both function fine. but to my ears T560 sounds better and i was just tinkering or rather thinking of tinkering. now that i understand the alignment is not easy to do. then i guess ill just stick with the 560 and try to install a better antenna.

//////////

the reason for trying to improve is that the reception for NPR is not very good at the moment. the local rock station sounds really good on T560 and good enough on T-70 already.

the reason for trying to improve is that the reception for NPR is not very good at the moment.
Need a better antenna.....Put it in the attic if , external is a no-go. Or the highest accessible place.

does doubling up the dipole antenna help with reception? i know if the two antenna are a distance apart or in different orientations, the signal from them will be out of phase and not desirable, but what if the two are identical and overlap perfectly and then at the tuner end their wires are connected so that the signal from both arrives at the tuner superposed and supposedly in phase? to be clear im wondering what effect it would have if i have to dipole antennas that are taped together so that they have the same exact configuration.

Back
Top Bottom