Current Crop of R-2R DACs

..Sure.. I think the more revealing your system is, the more you’re going to appreciate the FL.
Great Heils hide little... so I know I have a real advantage here with my modified AMT 3’s. The mods and non stock woofers really make these speakers something pretty special...

Agree :), the venerable AMTs sure are a nice tool for evaluating DACS. Hey Mojo, it's been a while. Enjoyed reading this resurrected thread, interesting, and funny. Been away demoing various DACs myself this past year to see what could be done to make our squawk box ribbons sing a little more. I too rotated through a few demo high resolution dacs including one unnamed higher $ "top DAC" with reported "best-in-industry perfect specs" resulting in ultra clean forward PA type sound, fatiguing, not very musical or engaging IMHO. No thanks. Came to similar conclusions along with a few colleagues enjoying some custom upgraded old design NOS R2R Ladder DACs with TDA1541A chips and less than perfect specs. Smooth, engaging, and very musical. BTW: look up Argus speakers, you'll appreciate and recognize another familiar old-is-new again design coming soon. Found it while messing with different DACs. Have fun.:thumbsup:

Yes, a while for sure. Yep, nothing like the Heil-it also apparently has measurement issues in part. What ever works in your setup is what's important. Like life, sometimes a picture doesn't tell the whole story. Once you figure that out-the details are part of the fun, not a burden....

Since it’s Jan 2nd thought I’d bump this thread as an anniversary :D

im currently about to go on a R2R tube DAC journey. My first considerations will be:

Audio Note Kit 2.1x
Audio Mirror Troubadour III
MHDT Orchid

live also found a guy that mods the Orchid with lots of upgrades, so if it seems to be awesome stock, I might look toha e it modded.

Since it’s Jan 2nd thought I’d bump this thread as an anniversary :D

im currently about to go on a R2R tube DAC journey. My first considerations will be:

Audio Note Kit 2.1x
Audio Mirror Troubadour III
MHDT Orchid

live also found a guy that mods the Orchid with lots of upgrades, so if it seems to be awesome stock, I might look toha e it modded.

That should be an interesting journey. I never really associated tubes with digital, so I am curious as to what you find out. I am very fond of my Aragon D2A2. It uses PCM63 DAC silicon followed by discrete transistor analog line amplification.

Cheers,
dB

For the most part-I use my Grant Fidelity TubeDac11-with a Rocket Tube. It also serves as a add on premp of sorts.
Recently acquired this NOS R2r AD1865 dac. Very well built.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AD1865-dec...567496?hash=item3d84c5e7c8:g:oxkAAOSwVZ1ceeuW
Much better then the TDA nos dac's IMHO. I alos like it better then my old Metrum NOS dac as well. I run it through the Grant's tubed preamp section, and it sounds very good. It's perfect for the remastered stereo Beatles cd's-old Big Star recordings-it's warming on me. And thats' using a fairly inexpensive optical/coax converter-as my cd's coax output runs through the TubeDac's 11's chip.
The NOS AD1865 is more forward and direct sounding vs the Grant.
With NOS dac's-it's good to have other options as well at your disposal.

For the most part-I use my Grant Fidelity TubeDac11-with a Rocket Tube. It also serves as a add on premp of sorts.
Recently acquired this NOS R2r AD1865 dac. Very well built.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AD1865-dec...567496?hash=item3d84c5e7c8:g:oxkAAOSwVZ1ceeuW
Much better then the TDA nos dac's IMHO. I alos like it better then my old Metrum NOS dac as well. I run it through the Grant's tubed preamp section, and it sounds very good. It's perfect for the remastered stereo Beatles cd's-old Big Star recordings-it's warming on me. And thats' using a fairly inexpensive optical/coax converter-as my cd's coax output runs through the TubeDac's 11's chip.
The NOS AD1865 is more forward and direct sounding vs the Grant.
With NOS dac's-it's good to have other options as well at your disposal.

2 of the 3 dacs on my list use AD1865N. Read tons of great things about that chip

Sure.
The main difference between this chip, and the TDA NOS dac's is the high frequency extension, as well as a more natural low frequency response.
In comparison, the TDA's sounds a bit flat, and bloated.
As mentioned, the AD1865's are a good alternative to have in your DAC arsenal, so to speak.
After trying lot's of different NOS Dac's-this seems to be one of the better sounding one's to my ears.
However I would not have it as my main, one and only dac.
Same goes for any NOS dac.
They all lack that air, and perhaps less overall distortion-that the Delta dacs have.
I think the slopeof the filter, and even the overall design of the DAC is probably more important than the chip on DS Dac's-TDA's as well.
The Grant Tube Dac11 does a lot of things well, and is a excellent side by side preamp as well.
At some point I will get a high res dac as well to use as a alternative.
Perhaps even a Schiit, if they have moved away from the signature MB sound.
I think the main point I'm trying to make is if your looking at dac's in general, be prepared to buy/keep a couple of different brands/styles.

Check out the following DAC vendors:

Abbas Audio
SW1X

I've a Abbas DAC 2.2SE TDA1541 on order now. I look forward to trying it. I expect it will far outperform my tweaked/modded Muji Studio DAC II.

Check out the following DAC vendors:

Abbas Audio
SW1X

I've a Abbas DAC 2.2SE TDA1541 on order now. I look forward to trying it. I expect it will far outperform my tweaked/modded Muji Studio DAC II.

I was looking at the SW1X while looking at the Audio Note, but found a great deal on used ANK 4.1LE so enjoying this one for the time being. The Abbas looks to be in similar category.

I was looking at the SW1X while looking at the Audio Note, but found a great deal on used ANK 4.1LE so enjoying this one for the time being. The Abbas looks to be in similar category.

I've ordered an Abbas Audio DAC2.2SE TDA1531. Abbas is the engineer behind the design of the SW1X range though has some fundamentally different views on components.

He uses a large number of NOS components and parts remanufactured from vintage parts to achieve the sound he desires. Another important to me difference is the cost is quite a bit lower. I can't afford the SW1X gear unfortunately.

Unfortunately there's very little information available in English regarding his gear. I've also ordered one of his RIAA preamps. I've a sneaking suspicion it will better my Valab LCR-1 Mk2.

I have read about some of Jay's previous audio design work. The design philosphy for DAC2 Signature is interesting from an engineering and product integration perspective. Although, I will reserve judgement until I see some real measurement data though...

And I think this is the biggest problem in digital audio today - that it is not at all about sound quality of music playback - but which is the latest processing chip and which decodes the greatest number of bits. I have a DAC with ESS Sabre 32/192khz that sells for $500 more than either of the TDA 1543 NOS DACs. And both of these walk all over my "modern" DAC for the business of playing back music - interestingly even on my hi res computer files FLAC and 24/192khz those recordings ALSO sound vastly better on the Redbook capable NOS DAC.

But the on paper appearance the NOS DACs are a tough sell. Audio Note is one of the biggest and financially well off makers in the industry and they basically have a cost no object resource behind them. DAC Chips are dirt cheap. In fact older ones cost more and AN wanted to use the TDA 1541 as they prefer that chip to the TDA 1543 but there was no supply and it's tough to run a business if you have to go to the recycling center to get dead machines and pull the chips from them, test them and then manage any sort of supply chain. So Audio Note bought 20,000 chips of the next best thing (TDA 1543). Ditto the even better AD 1865 chip found in all of their better machines. Their Top DACs with the AD 1865 (max 18 bits) coupled with their CD Six transport has a combined price of $245,000US. And they get those sales from the folks who wasted their time with Bricasti, MSB, TotalDac, dCS, Chord, EMM Labs, etc. Granted that's a ludicrous number no matter how good it is but CD on these machines mop the floor with SACD, Vinyl (albeit not all) and computer files. Very few people though will have the opportunity to hear CD played back on that system though much less afford it so I suppose it's a bit moot.

They have researched and designed with every chip on the market. It is a choice to go with sound quality over the easy sale of a numbers games selling the highest number of bit rate, the highest number of watts, the highest weight of the turntable.

I find it somewhat intriguing that Audio Note does so very well selling DA Converters (all but the 0.1x have no USB input) and most are 5 and 6 figures. The 0.1x has been selling for 13 years - and it will be people like me with 32/192khz ESS Sabre DACs that will be trading this sort of thing in for the NOS stone age DAC because the sound is so unquestionably superior - it's not about sound then - it will be about your bias that something with a lower number and older tech could ever be superior to the new gadget. If one can get passed that bias one might have a stereo that reproduces music properly.

Anytime companies spend a lot of time blathering about diamond tweeters, bullet proof woofer materials, the latest chip selection for the DAC and spend lots of money on shiny glossy pamphlets - it means the sound in the room isn't actually convincing.

I remember way way back when all the no nothing hack reviewers were raving about the MSB Gold DAC - the latest and greatest chip technology and a reviewer compared that to an AN Kit for like 1/2 to 1/3 the price. And it wasn't pretty - and it still isn't pretty. I auditioned the $50kUS MSB and thinking wait - the DAC 3.1X (at $9k) sounds a lot lot better - because it sounds like music. Audio Note came out with NOS R2R CD replay - and they've been selling it since 1995 at some pretty hefty and not so hefty price points. They got CD right where everyone else in the entire industry got it dead wrong. 23 years later other engineers are now running around copying the AN approach. I find it satisfying because I was ranting about this as far back as 2002 when a $3k AN CD player completely embarrassed the top of the line Meridian and LINN Sondek (yes the one for over $20k). People always complain there are no negative reviews in audio - well here is a comparison http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0200/anmeetsmsb.htm

I just wanted to copy this post because of the real world common sense and insider knowledge contained within. We get tons of posts that are nothing but fluff or trolling that it's somewhat rare to get good advice for someone looking to spend a lot of coin when they might not need to. I've thrown a lot of money at this hobby over the years and made my share of missteps.

I suppose we do that because we're learning and may not even know what true sound quality sounds like. So we go with numbers, specs and marketing speak like Diamond tweeters or Tulip wave guides or Double Diamond Output Stage!

My system is now the best I've ever had by far. The pre was $899, the amp was $699, speakers were $800 retail, and the dac was my splurge at $1149. Cables are all upgraded and solid conductor individually insulated. To me that last 3 or 4 percent of audio perfection is very preference dependant and not worth chasing. My system can give me chills with good music.

My advice would be to go for sound quality over science and specs. Stop listening to the gear and start listening to the music. Stop hanging around forums like this which only tempt you to try another upgrade. Life is too short to argue with strangers on the internet.

@runnin' well said. I currently love my Audio Note Kit DAC which is my first NOS filter less DAC. I was a bit hesitant as everyone said NOS is so different and not “modern” and that you lose tons of detail. But I’m amazed at how much detail I’m hearing. That coming from a Schiit Gungnir MB. This 30 yr old tech is still kicking butt

Lovely DAC by the way @kray . Audio Note gear is fantastic and the 4.1 is end game by anyones standards. ;)

thanks. I’m enjoying it but always have try something new itis :D but I’ll wait a while before toying around. Have you got the Abbas yet?

thanks. I’m enjoying it but always have try something new itis :D but I’ll wait a while before toying around. Have you got the Abbas yet?

No, I ordered last weekend so he'll finish assembling it soon. I've instructions to wait until the phono stage is done and send both together. Considering post is slow from that part of the world I expect maybe a month or so. The wait is already killing me a little inside .....

I believe the SW1X version comes very close to the AN4.1x.... Being TDA1541A based mines closer to a SW1X DAC3 so I expect it will probably match or better the 4.1x.... Or just get really close to it. I won't have one to compare it too though I'm expecting great things

That’s funny, my dac splurge was the Gungnir. I have expensive IC cables on it and the detail and imaging is what made me convinced that Schiit is one of the dac rock stars. Mind you, I’ve also got their Freya+, maybe there is some brand synergy going on.

The Gungnir has a very different sound to Audio Note, SW1X or Abbass Audio...... More like Holo Audio, Metrum etc. The aforementioned DAC's are more akin to spinning vinyl than anything else.

Back
Top Bottom