Current Production Cartridge With 1.0 MIL Stylus ?

malden

Addicted Member
I have been listening to some of my classical RCA Shaded Dog LP's with a Shure N44-1 stylus (1.0 mil) in a M44 cartridge body and am thoroughly enjoying what I am hearing. The N44-1 is extremely rare so I would like to find a cartridge that has a 1.0 mil stylus for listening to older recordings.

The only current production stylus I know of are the offerings from Esoteric sound, I believe they may only have this tip size available for the Stanton 500/Pickering V15

Thank guys! I forgot about esoteric sound. The Stanton/Pickering is about half the price of the Nagoaka and since I already own a Stanton 500 as well as a Pickering V-15, that's where I'll start.

Sandstorm: I would also have suggested to consider Nagaoka. They currently appear to offer the widest range of different needles for older records, which can be used on the older MPxx and newer MPxx0 family bodies.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Another to consider, the Ortofon OM Pro-S. They are easy to get and are not costly. Many places sell those including KAB.

according to the Ortofon website, the Pro-S stylus tip radius is R 18 μm, correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't that translate to .7 mil?

Sandstorm: I would also have suggested to consider Nagaoka. They currently appear to offer the widest range of different needles for older records, which can be used on the older MPxx and newer MPxx0 family bodies.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
Thanks Manfred, I am intrigued. I felt like I had been noticing less availability for some of the Nagaoka line but maybe that was just where I was looking. I had no idea that they had such a wide array of needle sizes.

Voice Of Music has some original Pickering D4510 1.0 mil styli in for the XV15/Stanton 680/681.

Info on the styli for the Grado ME and MC mono carts suggests they are 1 mil.
However, it also seems that every other site you visit says something a little different.
Are they really 1 mil? Does "MC" come with a conical, and "ME" an elliptical?
The Grado store is zero help.

Actually, it's time I contacted Grado directly. If they are in fact 1 mil I'll take one of the $50 conicals.
Given the way styli for Shure m44 have increased in price, and that a 1 mil stylus works really well with many of my 45's, a Grado conical might just be the way to go.

Why is it so hard to get info out of Grado concerning their styli?

Anyway, after a couple of rounds of emails, the best I can tell is that the ME and MC replacement styli are both 1.0mil ellipticals [which is what some sites report]....although neither email I received said so specifically.

Imo, really weird.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

I didn't see a P-mount for this series?

Back
Top Bottom