Currently own Chorus I, found Cornwall IIs for $850 - worth the upgrade?

roughdraft

I'm currently running a set of Chorus I with Crites tweeters upgrades paired with a Marantz 2230 and have been very happy with this combination. But I always keep my eyes out for deals and found a set of local mint Cornwall IIs unmodified for $850. Do you guys think it's worth it for me to upgrade? I mostly listen to soul, jazz, and rock on vinyl. Thanks for your input!

The Chorus was the replacement for the Cornwall and a Chorus ll is even better than a Chorus. However the smaller cabinet of the Chorus do require more power and they do respond with brilliance when given lots of power. If however you want to run small tube amps then a CW would be a better option so it really depends on you and what you want to do. The larger mid horn of the Chorus ll is very much an improvement over the K601 of the Chorus and the Cornwall.

Both Silent & Moray have given you some good advice, as usual. It will come down to personal preference, plus the usual variables such as the room in which they will be used etc. For me I prefer my Chorus IIs to my Cornwall IIs. One thing I will say is that I was not prepared for how LARGE Cornwalls actually are. I was not sure they were going to fit in the back of my Jeep Cherokee.

I bought the Chorus I's for $600, sold for $650. That's because I got a pr of custom made Cornscala D's for $1K. A very dramatic upgrade.

I own CWs and Fortes . So close. I like th "buy then decide" advice... except that is how I ended up with stacks of speakers...

if you decide to go with the CW2 remember that you can swap over the Crites ti tweeter diaphragms to the CW2 if you want to. You can also upgrade either your Chorus or the CW2 to ti mid diaphragms made by Klipsch (purchase from Simply speakers theses are original Klipsch factory parts). Totally your call but imo it will be a step backward especially from upgraded Chorus to CW2.

Why use two drivers when one will do the same job ported? I know a passive radiator is supposed to be like a port. But it has mass that the amp can't stop or start. The cabinet construction of a chorus is inferior to a Cornwall. We used 4 in a Military Club and the cabinets fell apart. They were being pushed by a MC 2250. Never blew a driver, but cabinets came apart. Glued them back together touched up the black paint and they were working twenty years later..

Last edited:
not sure exactly what you are referring to when you say "why use two drivers" A passive radiator is the same as a reflex vent, it too has mass just as the air in a reflex vent does in both situations that mass is selected to load the woofer at resonance. It is the woofer which drives the resonance of the reflex vent or the passive depending upon which system is utilized and not the amplifier as both the vent and the passive are acoustically coupled to the woofer.

Back
Top Bottom