Curtis Mathis?

Jim Phillips

Hello hope someone can help I have what is tagged as a curtis Mathis model 634 A serial number 658844 cherry MX made in Dallas TX and its French Provisional but it has a Gerrard turntable and the receiver is not labeled but had CM tubes it did come with original paperwork dated Dec 1964 including a letter from original purchaser wanting a copy of the scamadics so I wonder if he did some switching if so it's done very well any Curtis Mathis pros here tell me what I have I've yet to find one just like it 1550518879502517106556386679166.jpg 1550518963635941219649534614832.jpg

Looks like a C-M receiver to me. Garrard might be a model 3000? Its something in the AT6 family, there are a bunch with various tone arms and motors that are essentially identical otherwise.

I have the black face plate version of yours showing except mine is inside, not in the front, of a console where the chassis is mounted vertically and all the lettering on the plate and glass is also vertical. It could be the same chassis as yours. What is your tube line up? Pics of the inside?

I have the black face plate version of yours showing except mine is inside, not in the front, of a console where the chassis is mounted vertically and all the lettering on the plate and glass is also vertical. It could be the same chassis as yours. What is your tube line up? Pics of the inside?
This work for ya and than you for the info
15505353262797567551963790893554.jpg

Must be one of their better models, it has a stand-alone power amp. A lot of CM stuff was an actual receiver with everything on one chassis. Looks like push-pull 6bq5 ?

If you have any numbers on the chassis, that would help with looking up info. The console number is typically just the box, the actual units inside have their own numbers.

Mine is the single chassis receiver with single ended 6BQ5's for the outputs. Mine is only good for about 4-6 watts per channel. Your receiver is basically a preamp/tuner because of the separate power amplifier. Your power amplifier runs two 6BQ5's per channel and is good for about 10-12 watts per channel.

Thankyou
Must be one of their better models, it has a stand-alone power amp. A lot of CM stuff was an actual receiver with everything on one chassis. Looks like push-pull 6bq5 ?

If you have any numbers on the chassis, that would help with looking up info. The console number is typically just the box, the actual units inside have their own numbers.

I'll have those numbers to you soon as I get home

Mine is the single chassis receiver with single ended 6BQ5's for the outputs. Mine is only good for about 4-6 watts per channel. Your receiver is basically a preamp/tuner because of the separate power amplifier. Your power amplifier runs two 6BQ5's per channel and is good for about 10-12 watts per channel.
I know it sounds great

Very cool that you got the whole package. To my knowledge these are quite rare. I picked up a CM power amp from one of these as a chassis-pull a while back. This amp was fairly stock save for having had the cooling fins on the PT removed. I converted it into an integrated stereo by adding a simple preamp and volume control and it really sounds great. I also replaced all of the wafer tube sockets. It has been my son's "system" for the past 5 years or so. It idles quietly, has a nice balanced output and surprising volume into my son's Klipsch 15M speakers.

IMG_0613[2705].JPG

IMG_0617.JPG

Last edited:
Very neat clean work yes I figured there weren't too many of these made since I've yet to find another one like it in the 4 years I've owned it and I am the second owner

Back
Top Bottom