Custom Console 60 amp ?

Westy56

A symphony of paradox
I think this looks like the tuner/amp that came out of a Series 61 Consolette. OP tubes are amperex el84's.

The chassis Number is 60. Rated at 125 watts.

Is the amp anything special? I think it has decent iron.

attachment.php

Regards,

Steve

Last edited:
I look at that as an iron and tube donor. Others may disagree.

Any of those jacks on the side marked that they go to that other little EL84 monobloc?≈

I look at that as an iron and tube donor. Others may disagree.

Any of those jacks on the side marked that they go to that other little EL84 monobloc?≈

The two (tsr) jacks on left side back don't have markings.
It's hard to see right now, but there are at least to wires leading off them.
One goes to the volume pot and the other pins 5&3 on the 6SC7 socket.

I was looking at the iron and tubes for the most part.

Steve

the leads to the 6SC7 may be the phono leads. The 6SC7 was used a lot in the late 50's as a phono preamp tube.

Larry

You asked if this amp was anything special. I think any Fisher amp from the 50s is something special. The #60 chassis was from the 1957 model year. The series 61 consolette was from the 1958 model year. Console/chassis mismatches seemed to have been fairly commonplace among Fisher's consolettes during the 50s and probably came from the factory like that.

The schematic for the #51 chassis (which is the 1958 version of your chassis w/o the tuner) shows one phono input and two aux inputs. Any aux input lead should run directly to the front section of the selector switch. The phono input leads should feed pin 3 of the 6SC7 through a capacitor with another lead running to the rear section of the selector switch. However, I believe that any lead running from an input jack to pin 5 of the 6SC7 would be bypassing the phono stage since that is the plate of 2nd triode in the 6SC7, hence its output. Maybe someone wanted another line level input.

You asked if this amp was anything special. I think any Fisher amp from the 50s is something special. The #60 chassis was from the 1957 model year. The series 61 consolette was from the 1958 model year. Console/chassis mismatches seemed to have been fairly commonplace among Fisher's consolettes during the 50s and probably came from the factory like that.

The schematic for the #51 chassis (which is the 1958 version of your chassis w/o the tuner) shows one phono input and two aux inputs. Any aux input lead should run directly to the front section of the selector switch. The phono input leads should feed pin 3 of the 6SC7 through a capacitor with another lead running to the rear section of the selector switch. However, I believe that any lead running from an input jack to pin 5 of the 6SC7 would be bypassing the phono stage since that is the plate of 2nd triode in the 6SC7, hence its output. Maybe someone wanted another line level input.

The unit it came out of had an extension speaker the same size as the console. I thought that the jacks were for the speaker, but the console has speaker connectors (three switch) already.

I might have a guy interested in the console. He does restoration work as a hobby. Right now he's working on a Grundig for me.

To date, the kx200 beats any Fisher I've heard. It's the second integrated amp I've owned that does not distort regardless of volume position.
This may change if I get the 500C where it needs to be.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom