"Custom" subwoofer

Smwilli

Hi all!

I have an old Velodyne HGS10 subwoofer. The amp is shot, which seems to be a common problem even after the amp is repaired. I am attempting to make use of it with an external amp and a Minidsp of eq'ing the low end roll off. It has a dual voice coil setup in a push pull configuration. Can I just connect 1 voice coil with + to+ and - to-, and the other + to- and - to +? Or do I need to invert the phase of one of the amp channel signals? Or is that doing the same thing in a different way?

Hmmm ... Never seen a DVC sub with a push pull arrangement - you sure about that? Many velodyne subs used accelerometers ... Not sure if that's the case here or not.

Simply connect one of the voice coils and have a listen. Then connect the other voice coil and if it cancels out the sound, just reverse one voice coil. Can't get any easier than that! :)

It's an interesting driver where there is an upper and lower voice coil that is used in an attempt to lower distortion.

Attachments

• velodyne_2.jpg
    velodyne_2.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 31
  • velodyne-hgs10-repair-DSCN3948.jpg
    velodyne-hgs10-repair-DSCN3948.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 27
Contact Velodyne about this. It could be a dual impedance woofer, i.e. 4 and 8 ohms. Or they may need to be paralleled. + to + and - to -.

I would check VC resistance with an ohmmeter first. You may find that it's very low, like four ohms or less, which rules out paralleling the VCs for use with most amplifiers. With either serial or parallel VC hookup, just try the phasing both ways. You'll get very little sonic output when hookup phase is wrong, but it shouldn't do any harm.

Weird mine is an Dvc a different brand I had to wire it a certain way to get the independence correct.

Yeah, before I took a close look at the driver I thought there would be 2 voice coils, an upper and a lower. It appears that they are connected together with only 1 set of leads to connect to. Made it easy! Hopefully my Bose 1800 amp will have enough power for it.....

Back
Top Bottom