Custom wooden case on amps/receivers?

wingman0121

Did any of you made real wood cases for your equipment that didn't come with wood cases from the factory? If so how did it come out? Do post pictures if you have some to share.

There are a couple of members who do custom wood cabinets. I've seen pictures of their work, it's excellent. I'm not sure how you would word a search to find them but they are out there somewhere.

cubdog

Ive been thinking about doing an oiled walnut cab for my AGI 511. There was an optional one that looks great on the unit.

Would you guys say silver face stuff looks better with a darker wood finish and black face stuff would look better with lighter wood color?

Both better in dark wood. I had a wood cover (sides and top only) made for my Marantz 4240. Very simple design, not based on the original Marantz wood case. Used two metal grills from crappy speakers for vents. Looks quite nice, and certainly better than nothing it came with. I'll try to take it out later tonight and post pics.

Cheers,

Raf

As promised, with wood cover:

9094557.jpg

9094558.jpg

9094559.jpg

And this is what I got her with:

749457.jpg

I had my brother-in-law make some cases for my tuners. He used solid cherry wood he harvested from his own land in the Ozarks then mortised the joints.

I'll try and get some photos.

Somewhere there is a Scott 310E tuner with one of his cases. I sold it quickly for some college tuition for my daughter. I still have the Sony ST-5000F and Sherwood S-2000V tuners and cases.

Here's a not too custom case for a lowly BPC Sharp tuner. As original: (mine didn't look this good)

sharp_st-1122h-10.jpg

Some vinyl covered particle board from an old computer printer stand - a battery trim saw, some glue and drywall screws:

pbqb.jpg

Hey guys, I don't post here that often, but I saw this thread and wanted to share some pics of a little project I did recently with y'all.

Like many of you, I grew up with and have a strong affection for 70's gear with wood cases and/or side panels. I've often thought about making some side panels for modern gear to give it that old school vibe, but never got around to doing it.

I recently picked up a Yamaha R-S700 receiver for a GREAT deal, and since it already had the old school look to it, I decided it would be the perfect candidate for the experiment. I chose a red oak board from Lowes for the project and stained them in cabernet, and I'm extremely happy with the results!!

However, I need to pull them back off one of these days and take them to my buddy's house to sand the front edges smoother on his belt sander, then re-stain the fronts. I made a big mistake of buying sand paper from the dollar store, and it was garbage. Neverless, I think it looks great, and it will be even better after I re-do the front edges.

P.S. - I am also very happy with the sound of the Yammie!!:rockon:

Here are a few pics:

Attachments

• Yamaha R-S700 009.jpg
    Yamaha R-S700 009.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 338
  • Yamaha R-S700 007.jpg
    Yamaha R-S700 007.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 344
  • Yamaha R-S700 003.jpg
    Yamaha R-S700 003.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 309
  • Yamaha R-S700 001.jpg
    Yamaha R-S700 001.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 253
Last edited:
Look at my avatar (or into my album)

Harman Kardon TA 230 with customized woodcase - twelve layers birchwood and one layer walnut finish.

Thank you, that is nice. Yes I love it. The construction is much more complicated and more high-quality than the orignal "wooden enclosure" but the styling is excatly the same.

I had thought about doing the custom case thing for my Fisher, but in the end I decided I wanted an original case with mine, which is good because it's really-been responding to the Howard's F&W. I may try one round of the Restore A Finish, but the grain detail has already improved quite a bit with the F&W.

These aren't mine, but the grain on mine is like a cross between the two and has a really-nice swirl pattern to it. I love the reddish-brown tone of the old Fisher cases like this (I'm assuming the earlier cases were better than the later ones? I really don't know... My 800C is from early '64).
mZkL2Ho5WPut8pMujj2eYmQ.jpg
fisher500mah-2.jpg

Last edited:
Did any of you made real wood cases for your equipment that didn't come with wood cases from the factory? If so how did it come out? Do post pictures if you have some to share.

Very interesting and attractive thread by the way, thanks for starting!

1280 cases 039.jpg 1280 cases 040.jpg
Beautiful work!

Thank you

This one I made for my Pioneer SG-9500 out of solid Walnut it fits over the steel cover .I used longer screws through the feet to secure the case to the unit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom