Custom wooden case on amps/receivers?

Last edited:
Don't limit yourself to Walnut there are other woods that look fantastic checkout this site.they have various woods both exotic,and domestic. You can make your case out of the same woods they make fine instruments out of. Rosewood, Ebony, etc .

Bubinga is one of my favorites: http://www.hearnehardwoods.com/hard.../exotic_wood/bubinga_lumber/bubinga_wood.html

http://www.hearnehardwoods.com/hardwoods/exotic_hardwoods/wood_pictures.html

I agree. Walnut is wonderful but so are others. Bubinga is one but the rosewoods are exceptional (thought expensive). I have used Bubinga, Black Cherry, Walnut, Mahogany and others for cases and reveneering speakers. For my furniture collections it is mostly Walnut, Cherry, Old Wild Maple and Mahogany though.

I have done a few here and there, sometimes a simple oak one will do the trick.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCN0838.jpg
    DSCN0838.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 289
Here's a Sony I fab'd a case for. I purchased it minus the case and bottom cover. Found some wood in the wood pile behind the job and leftovers from a old diy speaker project...nothing fancy, but I think it turned out well for starting from complete scratch:

Merrylander has done quite a few for members I understand. He did a pair of 4 cabinets for a set of Sherwood amp/tuner and they were great. I let him decide the wood and hue and he decided a light color for them. I am more than happy with the cabinets but do think that a darker hue would have complemented the facia of the Sherwoods as the light hue detracts a bit from the gold trim and light color of the faceplate.

He probably has the template for these still and it will work for the tube units that seemingly so oft are lacking any cabinet or even a metal cover. They also fit the S3300 ss tuner and S9500 ss amp and S9600 amp as well as the am/fm version of the S3300 tuner. Probably also the S5500 and maybe the mono amps, not sure about them but I seem to remember they also are the same chassis size.

Nice work one and all. Finished wood cases, cabinets, and enclosures add class to a system imo. Note: be sure to pencil your name and date on the inside of your wood work projects.

I had thought about doing the custom case thing for my Fisher, but in the end I decided I wanted an original case with mine, which is good because it's really-been responding to the Howard's F&W. I may try one round of the Restore A Finish, but the grain detail has already improved quite a bit with the F&W.

These aren't mine, but the grain on mine is like a cross between the two and has a really-nice swirl pattern to it. I love the reddish-brown tone of the old Fisher cases like this (I'm assuming the earlier cases were better than the later ones? I really don't know... My 800C is from early '64).
mZkL2Ho5WPut8pMujj2eYmQ.jpg
fisher500mah-2.jpg

Howard's rules!

Hey, how come I don't see a crease and staple holes down the middle of all these great looking system photos?

These guys do incredible work.

http://mcintoshcabinets.com/

Here's my Fisher 500B with one of their cabinets. The picture kind of sucks (not enough light), but they do great work and work with some really cool veneers.

photo09-1.jpg

No affiliation.

I want to fit my newly refurbished AGI 511 with woodcase. Does anyone have the plans of the orignal woodcase?

I wish some of the full shots of this custom cabinet were still on the site.
The unit is operated without the cabinet, but looks stunning when it's on.

index.php

E1CAAE4A-DFA3-41AB-9CF4-AE2472EBBDA7.jpeg Interesting thread!!! I just got this old HK TA 230 restored and have been contemplating building a new case. The current case has tambor doors...very much from the period, but not very attractive. I’m amazed ther isn’t the kind of creativity with receiver cases that there is with plinths. Ther are beautifully built cases, but creativity (other than species) doesn’t seem to happen.

A friend of my son is making me a solid wooden case for my Technics5770. ...he won't tell me what kind of wood or how he is designing it ....he wants me to be surprised ...I can't wait lol

6B320C18-11F7-400B-BC16-7C6251AAC9F6.jpeg 4AC2203A-F0D3-41BC-813A-9CBD88AD8261.jpeg I’ve been building some amps and trying to add a little something to make them more personal. I get a cheap Hammond 1444 series aluminum enclosure and mill out vents and holes for hardware. Then I choose some lumber from Woodcraft and mostly use shellac as a finish. This is a phono stage with cherry sitting on a walnut shelf, and the other is a headphone/preamp in zebrawood with a copper knob I cleaned up on a lathe. It’s the little things I guess, and I’m a sucker for having something no one else has.

made solid walnut cases for my rack mount spec components they look like stand alone pieces now I like the new look
PICT0067.JPG PICT0079.JPG
simple box style with cut outs and good venting
PICT0046 (2).JPG

Thanks for bringing this thread back to life. I have an otherwise flawless Sherwood S-7300 that I pulled out of the recycle bin with no case. Love the FM on it! Don't want to electrocute my kitties!

I wonder about solid hardwood and the whole wood movement issue. How to you connect cover to amp and allow for expansion? Do you just slot the mounting holes a bit?

Back
Top Bottom