Cutting on Ethernet cable

What a strange link. He can't even tell if the cable meets the category 7 spec. He doesn't seem to have the knowledge to make various measurements of the cable, but instead cuts it open and tells us that the wires are indeed silver coated. Am I missing something?

I laugh at "audiophile" Ethernet cables. Miles upon miles of dicey coax cable, to a consumer-grade cable modem in the home, likely connected to a consumer-grade router...and some pricey cables for that last meter or two of length from router to the component. Within the home network, the router could very well be the weak point, although even Cat 6 is far greater than any bandwidth we'd ever use to stream audio or video data in the home. Even without the fancy name (and silver plating) on it.

The way the Ethernet standard works, packets either arrive intact, or they don't. If not, they are sent again. And given the data rate, there is plenty of time to resend those packets and still have everything in sync by the time the receiving equipment processes it.

Cat 5 vs. 5e vs. 6, etc., is determined mostly by the tightness of the twisted pairs of wires. A tighter twist means greater common-mode rejection of external noise. Shielding would be needed if the cable were in a very problematic location (lots of EMI/RFI), with packet loss so high as to be unusable. Cat 6 is already theoretically 10x faster than most network cards in use today.

The only thing that upsets me is that I didn't think of "audiophile" Ethernet cables first. For that matter, I should gut some ancient Linksys routers, stick them in expensive cases, and pawn them off as "audiophile" as well. ;) The sad fact is that few (if any) of the typical customer Audioquest goes after would have no clue about network protocols, data transport and the OSI model. (It even gives me a headache to think about it.)

What a strange link. He can't even tell if the cable meets the category 7 spec. He doesn't seem to have the knowledge to make various measurements of the cable, but instead cuts it open and tells us that the wires are indeed silver coated. Am I missing something?
What do you need to make the measurements and what would you have to pay for that?

Anyway it is fun reading

I have such cable (not silver) running through my house for 20 years, saved from the junkyard.
It probably is CAT-nothing-yet and it is 12 pairs....

Last edited:
" If you say so. I'm just the guy with the knife and the pliers. "

That quote is from the second last photo, seems he isn't exactly sure what he's looking at ??

That connector just adds another layer of failure IMO. Never heard of directional ethernet cables either because the flow of information is bi-directional.

That connector just adds another layer of failure IMO. Never heard of directional ethernet cables either because the flow of information is bi-directional.
That is what makes me laugh at some of the wild claims for some tweaks out there. Some who design these have absolutely no clue about the technology behind the devices they are connecting with fancy Ethernet cables (as one example). Or, they know just enough to make themselves dangerous, and mislead others. I've taken semesters about data and networking and security, and I'm the first to admit I've barely started to scratch the surface of it all...

Maybe he's talking about shielding being attached only at one end, as with directional interconnects.

I laugh at "audiophile" Ethernet cables. Miles upon miles of dicey coax cable, to a consumer-grade cable modem in the home, likely connected to a consumer-grade router...and some pricey cables for that last meter or two of length from router to the component.

I ask similar questions about Power Cables if everything eventually terminates at a $10 Circuit Breaker.

DIBS!!!! Ok, I am so making "Audiophile Circuit Breakers". I'm gonna be rich! :rflmao:
You are way too late

ABL-21.jpg

Back
Top Bottom