CX-1000 button replacement

Funny, I have a mint one here (with box and everything) that I never use. Lovely piece of gear but it just doesn't 'do it' for me. I think it's the hangover styling from the mid 80s before Yamaha got rid of the silly angled buttons and then softened their panel edges and controls.

When we were selling them new, they were AU$2399- it was very expensive.

well, it is not exactly the styling that atracts me, nor it is the video board functions, if you know what I mean....

but my OCD kicks in fast when something I enjoy listening to, is missing a button or has some other non-factory physical flaw that is readly visible

edit: I was gonna say that Yamaha made some pretty fugly pieces of hardware, along with many other beautiful ones. The thing is that even the fugly ones such as the BX-1s sound so fine to my years that I see them beautiful in their own way as long as they are not damaged or missing components.
...If the BX-1s or the B-3s were a car, they would probably be a 60' Ford Bronco that is so fugly to the point that is becoming attractive.

Last edited:
what I do not understand is what the ***k ppl do with the button once it falls off? Just toss it out?
I see so many of these without buttons(Yes, Yamaha used a crappy glue) but I allays scratch my head to why are the buttons lost

They went to the lost sock universe and sitting comfortably with a bunch of pre-in/main-out jumpers.

Cheers,
James

I know it's an old thread but I'm also the owner of a CX-1000 with missing button covers, specifically the power and the input selector. The power switch is not as big a deal but missing the printed input selector button cover bothers me. I found that the RX-530, RX-730 and RX-930 receivers from the same time period have a very similar input selector button. Does anyone have access to one of these units so I could get some measurements?

Yes RayN. iT's an old thread ... But I'm still right here. :banana::banana::banana::banana:

I don't abandon the fight. In ebay I found a possible donor:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-RX-...ARE-BEAST-CLEAN-JAPAN-SMOKE-FREE/123833835712

The Color is not the same I know but, I'm sure the covers of the selection and power buttons are the same. I do not live in the USA, the cost of shipping and importing to my country does not deserve the effort.

If everything fails, you can always make an attempt with your own hands as Rottalpha says. I accompany some images of my best result so far.

20180807_090801.jpg 20180807_090815.jpg

Greetings from Argentina.

Thread revival.

Now that there is 3D printing does anyone have exact measurements of the original switch?
I want to see if one of the engineers at my company can make one for me. Mine is boxed up and waiting for a trip for recapping and I don't want unbox to measure the opening is at all possible.

Any chance that once set up for printing they can print a few? If so, that would be great.

Which button(s) are you needing? I can get you l x w dimensions but will estimate the thickness. Will that work? To measure the thickness accurately one would have to remove an existing button. The glue has a finite thickness too.

Any chance that once set up for printing they can print a few? If so, that would be great.

Which button(s) are you needing? I can get you l x w dimensions but will estimate the thickness. Will that work? To measure the thickness accurately one would have to remove an existing button. The glue has a finite thickness too.

Hey. I need the power button only. I don't need the thickness. I know it's very thin. I just need the length and width.

25mm x 9mm Or approximately 31/32 x 3/8 (inches) as best as I can tell.

How many can you make?

25mm x 9mm Or approximately 31/32 x 3/8 (inches) as best as I can tell

Thanks! If I can get one made properly and it's not expensive and not a major hassle for my engineering buddy I can probably get another one made. But let me see if it's an option first. He might only be able to do work stuff

I fashioned a couple of tabs out of the front part of a VHS cassette.
Cut to fit, fine sanded edges and reglued.
Looks original.
I've done the same using the black plastic from a cassette case. Work slowly and carefully and the result will satisfy.

I've done the same using the black plastic from a cassette case. Work slowly and carefully and the result will satisfy.

Being I've never seen one is it just a flat piece originally or does it have edges like a mini shoebox lid? I'm envisioning the latter but if a flat piece of thin black plastic cut to size is all it is then I will MacGyver one and not reinvent the wheel

I’m guessing that it’s flat. Never seen a power button that wasn’t already attached and in place. The measurements I made were on a button “cover” that was still attached to the power button on my CX-1000.

I did see a detached iinput select button cover off of a CX-2000 though. It was flat.

Hello, I'm new here... just found this thread while "reconditioning" my new purchased CX-1000. I got this beauty to my Yamaha collection without buttons, so I'm unable to measure exact thickness. Can anyone of you measure thickness of button or how much buttons extends beyond the front plate?
I'm going to print buttons on my 3D printer and try few finish methods to get satisfying result, once I get it done I'll share this process with you. First I'll try with sanding and polishing... if this fails I'll go with spraying.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210210_032655.png
    Screenshot_20210210_032655.png
    200.8 KB · Views: 25
  • signal-2021-02-10-032957.jpeg
    signal-2021-02-10-032957.jpeg
    85.1 KB · Views: 25
  • signal-2021-02-10-032805.jpeg
    signal-2021-02-10-032805.jpeg
    104.1 KB · Views: 25
So, I managed to use my 3D printer to print buttons. Trying to sand them, but then black filament become grey so decided to use buttons straight from the printer and that do the job! To affix 'buttons' I used double side thin tape, but a drop of glue probably will last longer. The finish surface is a texture of 3D printer traces, it is not polished/flat. May try to sand & spray later... but to be honest I'm happy with this, finish texture is regular and doesn't look bad. If you need this buttons... I can print and post to you... just PM me. (I'm based in Ireland)
I could share .stl file, but that's just a simple squares easy and fast to create. So, below are sizes:
3mm x 64mm x 12mm - input selector
3mm x 25mm x 10mm - power
3mm x 25mm x 7mm - source direct & muting :thumbsup:

Attachments

• IMG_20210212_020049.jpg
    IMG_20210212_020049.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20210212_020305.jpg
    IMG_20210212_020305.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20210212_020423.jpg
    IMG_20210212_020423.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20210212_020758.jpg
    IMG_20210212_020758.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20210212_021755.jpg
    IMG_20210212_021755.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20210212_021828.jpg
    IMG_20210212_021828.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20210212_021900.jpg
    IMG_20210212_021900.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20210212_021923.jpg
    IMG_20210212_021923.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 38
So, I managed to use my 3D printer to print buttons. Trying to sand them, but then black filament become grey so decided to use buttons straight from the printer and that do the job! To affix 'buttons' I used double side thin tape, but a drop of glue probably will last longer. The finish surface is a texture of 3D printer traces, it is not polished/flat. May try to sand & spray later... but to be honest I'm happy with this, finish texture is regular and doesn't look bad. If you need this buttons... I can print and post to you... just PM me. (I'm based in Ireland)
I could share .stl file, but that's just a simple squares easy and fast to create. So, below are sizes:
3mm x 64mm x 12mm - input selector
3mm x 25mm x 10mm - power
3mm x 25mm x 7mm - source direct & muting :thumbsup:

Very cool. I love this site!

Mine is waiting on Avionic's work bench to clear up and sitting in a box, so I haven't messed with the button issue yet. But when I get It back working properly I may hit you up for a cover if I cannot cobble one on my own.

Very cool. I love this site!

Mine is waiting on Avionic's work bench to clear up and sitting in a box, so I haven't messed with the button issue yet. But when I get It back working properly I may hit you up for a cover if I cannot cobble one on my own.
:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom