Cylinder head shims- any experiences using them?

With some luck the charging system repair will take care of the others. Low / dirty power makes all sorts of stuff go dumb. Also don't be so sure its the sensor at fault. Depending on the particular code, it may be telling you the truth and there is another fault causing the readings to be wrong.

Just in case you didn't know...Advance Auto and AZ, I believe, accepts online ordering and local PU with discount coupons available online,,, some of them are up to 40% off... and if you order something to be sent to you,, you can return it to a local store if need be... no return shipping hassles...

With some luck the charging system repair will take care of the others. Low / dirty power makes all sorts of stuff go dumb. Also don't be so sure its the sensor at fault. Depending on the particular code, it may be telling you the truth and there is another fault causing the readings to be wrong.
Hopefully that'll be the case. When I took it for a ride, I noticed the speedo needle getting a little nervous as I got closer to my house. I imagine dirty power will do that.

I will probably just order the cam sensor. It didn't look too great when I had it out of the head, probably from getting hot. New ones with good reviews are only $13.xx shipped on ebay. I'll wait on the MAF until I get the alt on and see what it does.

Just in case you didn't know...Advance Auto and AZ, I believe, accepts online ordering and local PU with discount coupons available online,,, some of them are up to 40% off... and if you order something to be sent to you,, you can return it to a local store if need be... no return shipping hassles...
Thanks. I'll look into that. I'll gladly save money anywhere I can.

Cracks in the air intake tube or dirt on the MAF wires from a missing or over-oiled K&N type air filter will set codes too. usually some CRC QD or actual MAF cleaner will take care of contamination problems. Worth a shot before replacing the part at least.

I got the alternator on and the battery and brake lights are off.

I think I figured out why it was throwing the codes, too. The plugs for the MAF sensor and cam sensor are exactly the same, which is an incredibly dumb design. I unhooked the battery, reversed them, and took it for a ride. The light stayed off.

I think the junkyard speed sensor is bad too, just not as bad as the original. The speedo is reading too slow at times, and the needle bouncing around is getting worse.

Identical plugs that are close enough to reach the other thing they fit is a dumb design. The cables should be routed such that you can't do that.

Does the speed sensor have a gear on the end that is mangled?

I'm really fed up with this thing. It may be going to the scrap yard, where I should have sent it in the first place. I took it down the road, and it started bucking and jerking. I didn't think I was going to make it back. I don't know what it's problem is, and I am about to that point where I don't care anymore. I gambled and I think I lost big time.:(

have a break from it and look at it later . its probably something simple like a bad wiring connection . or a vac pipe .

Any time I've been torn between calling the junkyard or buying a can of kerosene to sort out a problem I walk away from it for a few days. The problem is usually right in front of me when I come back.

Any time I've been torn between calling the junkyard or buying a can of kerosene to sort out a problem I walk away from it for a few days. The problem is usually right in front of me when I come back.
my thought entirely ..sleep on it

I'm going to quickly check a few things, and if I don't find anything, I will probably take it to somebody with better equipment to diagnose the problem. I think it has one or multiple bad sensors. It just sucks because I have no idea how the car ran or what may have been wrong with it before the head gasket went.

You switched two matching sensor plugs, and the light is off,,, did you try swapping them back to see if the light came back on? If it stays off both ways, something else is wrong... Or it may just work!!!!

You switched two matching sensor plugs, and the light is off,,, did you try swapping them back to see if the light came back on? If it stays off both ways, something else is wrong... Or it may just work!!!!
It's not throwing the cam and MAF codes now, but it threw some other codes. I think I am just going to take it somewhere and tell them what I did and what it is doing. I don't have the equipment or patience to chase electrical/sensor issues.

Troll the Kia forums, chances are more than fair someone else has gotten those codes and figured it out.

Don't give up, your on the home stretch if it takes a sensor or two you still have a running car. How many miles on the Kia?

tracing these things are not so easy with cheaper scanners . mine wasn't cheap to me but is to the 3 grand ones i am lucky to have access to that will go into lots more depth than my one that often gives false readings or non at all . i like to see the live data when available .

The car has 125k on it.

I already rented a car dolly, loaded it up, and took it to a local reasonably priced shop that I am familiar with the owner of. He has a fancy Snap On machine and a decent reputation, so hopefully he will figure it out and not charge me a million bucks.

Back
Top Bottom