D-9s tweeter is dead in one speaker...

MOEB74

so I picked up a nice pair of D-9s today and one tweeter is dead. It was a haul for me and the other gentleman, so a test of them was not possible. The woofers were re-surrounded not too long ago and there was a repair to the binding post/terminal plate. It has a Truconnex brand with an inline fuse ( blade fuse ).

Regardless the other components are working on the speaker, just no tweeter... Is there any checks or something I can do? Possibly crossover?

More info:

Woofers measured around 4.0ohm
Mids and tweeter measured around 7.5ohm
ONE tweeter is opened, its the one that wasnt working.

Here are the crossovers, imaged attached.

Should I replaced caps, or should they be good? Cabinet shows a date of 5-1988 on both units.

Also the refoam on one woofer looks like the edge is coming up. What kind of glue can I use to attach that piece of foam to the woofer cone itself?

Attachments

• 20180218_210237.jpg
    20180218_210237.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 24
Thanks guys. honestly Id prefer to keep the speakers all original. If I could find a good replacement thats OEM, Id rather do that. Maybe someone on here would have the correct one for me?

Its a CS5

Attachments

• 20180218_221514.jpg
    20180218_221514.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 20
I have used both and have had good experience with each.. but I can get the exact same Tweeter for $11.90 each and if you're going to spend this kind of money you might as well get the APT 80 from Parts Express instead it's made by eminence and is even more sensitive and it has the correct raised plastic that you can paint silver to look just like the original D9

Thanks guys. honestly Id prefer to keep the speakers all original. If I could find a good replacement thats OEM, Id rather do that. Maybe someone on here would have the correct one for me?

Its a CS5
While The Originals are pretty robust I believe the APT 80 by eminence to be a superior more robust tweeter that will look identical once you paint a silver beauty ring around the raised plastic part of the horn there are a few techniques that can make this very easy and quick and look Factory new

True... Would there be any reason my tweeter died or is it a semi-common occurrence?
I purchased my D9'S brand new in August 86 and was pretty rough on them right off the bat and I Blew one of the tweeters a couple of months later then got an immediate replacement from Highland Appliance because of the 5-year warranty & ironically my best friend at the time of purchased an exact same set & Blew one of his tweeters also and went and got an immediate replacement... So ever since he and I have been careful enough and a little bit more respectful and have never blown any speakers since then .....but I will say we were Outdoors at a farm jamming all 4 D9'S all night long until daylight until we discovered each one of us had blown a tweeter.....

I have used both and have had good experience with each.. but I can get the exact same Tweeter for $11.90 each and if you're going to spend this kind of money you might as well get the APT 80 from Parts Express instead it's made by eminence and is even more sensitive and it has the correct raised plastic that you can paint silver to look just like the original D9

I didn't look, but since he's concerned about the original appearance, maybe he can just get the tweeter diaphragm.

I didn't look, but since he's concerned about the original appearance, maybe he can just get the tweeter diaphragm.
Is that possible? I dont mind spending the money and Id prefer OEM, but if the Emienence ones from PE.com are better then maybe I should go that route?

Also as a side note the PD9's that I purchased back in August off of a Marine veteran.... These use the exact same Tweeters as the D9'S and both of them were burnout at the voice coil.... I replace them with the $12 tweeters except I paid $25.99 each from Midwest speakers before I knew I could find them cheaper... And they are high quality very well made easily as good as stock or better

Also as a side note the PD9's that I purchased back in August off of a Marine veteran.... These use the exact same Tweeters as the D9'S and both of them were burnout at the voice coil.... I replace them with the $12 tweeters except I paid $25.99 each from Midwest speakers before I knew I could find them cheaper... And they are high quality very well made easily as good as stock or better

Are these D9s made in the USA?

Also, can I remove the CV face plate off of the tweeters and apply them to the new 12$ units?

I have been unable to find diaphragms from any source because I also would like to rebuild the set that I got with these PD9'S I kept the burnout ones in hopes that one day someone would produce diaphragms loaded with voice coils like they used to

Yes and every Cerwin Vega you see and my picture I sent you are also made in Simi Valley California back in those days

I thought to try this also but it is not possible
Damn! Alright.

Last question, I need to replace the cheap terminal cups that the previous owner had. Should I get the screw type or the spring push down type? Basically is one better than the other or better for creating a good connection I should say.

Back
Top Bottom