D1100 initial listening impressions

jmslaw

IMG_0191.JPG I will preface this review with the following caveat: My unit has been unboxed for only 24 hours, and I suspect it requires some amount of break-in before optimal sound is achieved. That said, I think I have a fair grasp of its capabilities. Prior to connecting the D1100, I had been using the D150 since its introduction about a year and a half ago. The D150 is a very fine dac, and I never felt like it was lacking, however, I do recall the MDA1000/MCD1000 combo I had several years back as being a bit smoother and more analog. Given that I utilized that combo in a slightly different system in a different house, comparisons are difficult to accurately assess. Please view my system below to see the context within which this dac is being reviewed.

I can confidently state that the D1100 is a more refined version of the D150. The difference is hardly profound; there is just more "rightness" to the sound. The term "organic" comes to mind. More specifically, the sense of greater spaciousness is readily apparent. The view into the soundstage is better illuminated. Live recordings have a greater sense of hall space and audience perspective. Depth of stage is clearly better. I won't attempt yet to compare frequency extremes, as I'd like the unit to break-in more fully, but I do think I hear better texture in the lower-mid bass; instruments having a bit more weight and appropriate fullness. Textures are better delineated. Voices have a bit more flesh to them. Drums have more "skin" and strings have more "resin." It's a subtle difference, but at this level, most things are. Frankly, I don't detect any greater "crispness" or extension in the upper frequencies, but I haven't really put the unit through its paces yet, and the D150 is no slouch in upper-frequency detail and extension.

I am using the MCT450 transport connected via the MCT proprietary DIN cable. I will note something very interesting: Previously, I utilized both the DIN cable AND a Harmonix single-ended digital cable, and usually preferred the coax connection. With the D1100, (unlike the D150) a balanced digital cable can be used. I have a Purist Audio Venustas balanced cable connected, and I think I prefer the DIN cable. I'm not sure what to make of that yet. (Note that SACD can ONLY be passed through the DIN connection) I intend to alternate back and forth much more comprehensively before I make any definite conclusions.

Again, this is a work in progress, as I have a LOT more listening to do before I can confidently make any reliable conclusions. I am very pleased with my purchase, utilizing the unit as a dac only through my superb C1100, the finest preamp I have ever owned. (and there have been plenty!) I will update this very preliminary review as I get a better handle on the unit.

Cheers,

Jeff

Good luck with the unit. I think more time is just what it needs. I'm jealous!!!

Nice score! I'm intrigued by the D1100, but at the moment I'm happy w/my D100. Do you plan to do any A/B testing vs the D150?

Hello. Next week will come home the D1100. I'm going to compare with my MCD1100. Via the DIN cable will use the MCD1100 as transport and I will read sacd. So I understand if the new DAC can improve the already excellent performance of the player. Obviously I will use the D1100 also as dac for pure liquid music through USB port. So I'll see how it goes with high-resolution files in pcm and dsd.

I'll have more soon. I want to really put the unit through the paces before I come up with anything else. So far, it is fantastic!

Back
Top Bottom