D150 digital preamp

Discussion in 'McIntosh Audio' started by rocknroll1, Feb 9, 2019.

1. rocknroll1

rocknroll1 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I sold my preamp and am using my D150 until I replace it. I assume its ok to run my MC 30's thru the D150. Obviously it doesn't have phone pre or any analog inputs in it so I was wondering if the following would work in the meantime. I have a MP100 phono pre that I could go digital out to the D150. I am not sure how it would sound since you would be going analog>digital>analog. Has anybody tried this or have any thoughts? Or should just forget about vinyl until I get another pre.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. eedork

eedork Super Member

I see no reason why this wouldn't work, although I don't have direct experience with any of the gear you are using. Obviously make sure you have the MC30s plugged into the variable outputs (not the fixed outputs!!) on the D150. I'd give the MP100 a try too - it might sound great, and if it doesn't, just don't use it until you get another pre.

Have fun!

-Matt

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  3. damacman

damacman Blown and Injected Subscriber

Yep, no problem at all there. A > D > A

4. rocknroll1

rocknroll1 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Well I just got thru hooking it up and it sounds damn good. It is very quite and has a great soundstage but maybe not as 3D. The MC 30's run my JBL L300's nicely. I was a little worried that they may not have the enough power. I have a VTL 5.5 coming in I took on trade of one of my units but I will be surprised if it sounds as good.

5. twiiii

twiiii Addicted Member

The little MP 100 has been a nice addition to my system. I use the analog out to feed the c-34 for analog system and I use the optical output to feed the the MX 151 for my digital source signals. The signal thru the C-34 is a touch dryer than using the phono inputs of the C-34. I prefer the sound my self. The sound of the MP 100 feeding the MX 151 in the pure stereo mode is almost identical with a touch better definition in the 200 to 800 area. Its not a big difference. The bass is very firm in either the digital mode or analog modes. The top two octaves are identical. You might perceive a liitle more in the 150 hz octave area in the analog mode of a C-34 phono section. If you are listening to full orchestra cello and double bass string sound more natural using the MP 100. . Where the C-34s phono section sounds a little cloudy. Being able to adjust the capacitance via the MP 100 can tame overly bright cartridges or help others to be a little more revealing/ If you are going to consider MC in the future a MP 100 is a worth while investment if you are to select an older pre-owned Mac pre-amp. You might want to consider a newer pre-amp if you don't need all the flexibility of the older pre-amps and want to advantage of the upgrade input module. Then you wouldn't need the MP 100 or the D150. But then you ordered the VTL. Some day you'll have decide if you want a 275 or a 152, or 2152. It just depends on the sound you want from your JBL's.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019 at 7:39 PM
    ron-c likes this.