DAC comparison – Bel Canto vs. Benchmark

RichPA

Don't drive angry
Subscriber
I am fortunate to have two really excellent DACs in the house right now, a Bel Canto DAC 3.3VB (DAC3 upgraded with VBS power supply and DAC3.5 Mk. II processor card) and a Benchmark DAC2 HGC. I’ll be switching back and forth between them over the next couple of days, and thought I’d start a thread to post my impressions.

Functionally, they’re generally similar – both have built-in volume control, balanced outputs, and multiple digital inputs. The Benchmark also has two analog inputs, and the ability to put any input in “HT” mode for fixed volume/home theater pass-through. The Bel Canto lacks this feature, though the newer DAC 3.5VB has it.

First impression – both sound excellent, but there is a significant difference in character. The Bel Canto has more “bloom” to its sound, perhaps more body to high-pitched instruments, and a closer perspective. By contrast, the Benchmark presents greater depth of field, and has tighter-sounding bass – for example, emphasizing the “bounce” of a struck drum to a greater degree than the Bel Canto. So far, I think the Benchmark is a better match to the system here – on the other hand, it’s been continuously powered up for several weeks, the Bel Canto for a day and a half. And I’ve only spent a few hours listening. So, more later.

I've been very happy with my Bel Canto Dac 1.5. It does everything I need it to do and more. I wonder if there are any upgrades available for it? :scratch2:

cubdog

Are you using the BK2 and the Bel Canto DAC 3.3VB as a just a DAC or as a Dac/PreAmp going straight to the power amp?
Michael

Are you using the BK2 and the Bel Canto DAC 3.3VB as a just a DAC or as a Dac/PreAmp going straight to the power amp?
Michael

I'm using them just as DACs. Main source is Wyred4Sound-modded Sonos Connect playing flac files from a VortexBox appliance. The rest of the system includes a DSpeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core room correction eq, Wyred4Sound STP-SE preamp, Channel Islands D200 amps, Newform Research R645v3 speakers, and a Hsu ULS-15 sub.

I'm listening to the Bel Canto now, and it's clear that the sound has changed somewhat (or at least my impression of it has) from my first impressions posted above. More later today.

Another day of listening. I've done my best to match levels, but this hobby, not science - no blind comparisons, etc.

My impressions remain similar, though the difference in spatial presentation seems smaller, either from the Bel Canto having more time powered up or my own change in what I attend to while listening.

Bottom line at this point - it's easier for me to follow bass lines, in rock, jazz, or orchestral recordings, through the Benchmark. There's perhaps a bit more body to cymbals and other high percussion through the Bel Canto. And there is still a bit more forward sound with the Bel Canto. The track that really showed the differences for me is "Good Shepherd" from Hot Tuna's 2006 Live at MerleFest album - the interplay between Jack Casady, Jorma Kaukenen, and Barry Mittrof is just clearer through the Benchmark. And on other albums, like the Blomstedt/San Francisco Symphony performance of Nielsen's 4th and 5th symphonies (two of my favorite modern symphonies), there's a difference in tonal and spatial presentation that's hard to describe, but favors the Benchmark.

These are subtle differences, and if you told me they're due to preconceptions or failure to match levels, I couldn't argue. I also think that in a different system, my preference might switch. Both DACs are much better than my Benchmark DAC1, which taken on its own terms is a very good DAC. I'll probably continue to go back and forth between them for a while, but in the long run I can't justify keeping both. The Bel Canto is just so elegant in appearance and interface, but the Benchmark is very well thought out.

I'm sure that if I were a High-end reviewer, I could describe differences in more detail (or more words, anyway). I hope that somebody finds what I can say to be of interest.

Why not sell one and use the money to buy a tube DAC? Sometimes it's nice to have tubes for a tonal change. No point keeping 2 SS DAC's. The tubes in the DAC should last 8-12 years as long as you don't leave the DAC on full-time.

I'd keep the Benchmark...

Last edited:
Thanks for your review Rich. You are the second person that has told me the new Benchmark is noticeably better than their Benchmark DAC1.

I haven't heard the new Benchmark DAC, but a fellow that's really into HI-End Headphone stuff used the older one and it was just excellent, so the newer one must be pretty darn nice.

I don't believe I've seen anyone here on AK that has built (or has even listened to) any of the Twisted Pear "Buffalo" Dacs. Members of our DIY Club have built 6 or 7 of the various Buffalo's (I, II, or III) and really like them.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Any more updates here Rich?

Work has kept me from getting back and posting more, but here's a brief update: I went back and forth a number of times after I posted this, and settled on a clear preference for the Benchmark. Both are excellent DACs, but I think the Benchmark sounds more "precise" for lack of a better word, with tighter bass. It was interesting to read essentially the same comparison in the Stereophile review of the Benchmark - the reviewer liked it, but preferred the Bel Canto. I do not hear the wider soundstage from the Bel Canto that he described, though it has a slightly softer focus that on some discs (not many) seems to make for a bit larger soundstage. Systems vary, of course, so I can imagine my preference changing in a different setup. Really, I'd be happy with either one, but I've made a choice in large part because I needed to stop driving myself nuts switching back and forth.

Back
Top Bottom