1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

DAC for Raspberry Pi 2 B+

Discussion in 'DACs' started by Crazyblocks, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Crazyblocks

Crazyblocks Active Member

Looking for a dac for the raspberry pi 2b+
    Any recommendations?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. telemike

telemike AK Subscriber Subscriber

I use a HiFiBerry DAC

3. judsonw

judsonw Well-Known Member

HiFiBerry is good. I use the HiFiBerry digi board to an external DAC, but the HiFiBerry DAC is good too.

4. E-Stat

E-Stat AK Subscriber Subscriber

If you're looking for a HAT, I would recommend the Allo DAC.

I use an external DAC, but prefer the Allo DigiOne to a previously owned HiFiBerry board.

judsonw likes this.
  5. Adam2CH

Adam2CH New Member

I currently am using this PiFi DAC from China with a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ and Volumio, controlled via Volumio app on Android. It's very similar to the HifiBerry "standard +", whereas the "pro" version has 2 clocks. There are also several more Raspberry Pi DACs located there. Hope that helps.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    cpt_paranoia likes this.
  6. for_p1

for_p1 Addicted Member

Almost anything with USB input will work. I used TEAC 501 and Oppo 205 with great results. I used piCorePlayer software along with LMS on a separate server to manage library.

lico and ldatlof like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. Tim Murphy

Tim Murphy New Member

For Raspberry pi 3B + using Voulmio 2.0 streaming software. The Allo Kali Reclocker with Piano 2.1 DAC. It takes some common sense to configure, but when you have it configured right. The two PCM5142 DAC's can deliver 384 kHz/32bit. With a very impressive SNR of 112dB.
    Using this setup with my Eico ST 70 rebuilt amplifier, playing my hi res vinyl 24bit 96k or 192k files sounds amazing. Cleary detailed and with great stereo
    Separation.

8. ldatlof

ldatlof We are all steak Subscriber

I am using a HiFime 9018 Optical DAC with my RPi. To use with the RPi It requires a USB to optical converter. I use a S.M.S.L. X-usb Digital Audio Interface for that purpose. Both units are small (like the Pi) and inexpensive. Together they put out very detailed sound.

9. beanoil

beanoil That's not how this works

10. cpt_paranoia

cpt_paranoia Well-Known Member

I've got one. Volumio recognises it as a HiFiBerry DAC+

Works fine, including hardware volume control.

I'll leave the subjective reviews to the golden ears types; mine aren't.

The genuine HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro ought to be better, as it provides the clock, rather than using a clock generated by the Pi. And, at £33, it's not exactly expensive.