DAC/HP Amp upgrade?

GChief

Confused about Vinyls
Subscriber
Wasn't sure where to put this as it could fit in a few different forums.

I am trying to upgrade my home (speakers) as well as travel Headphone set up for digital playback. At home I probably listened to vinyl 90% of time. I started out just using 3.5mm to RCA for my digital for casual background music from Apple and Kindle stuff. SInce moving into our tiny house I switched to CCA to have some "remote control" capability since the system in my sig is up in one of the lofts. Now its not the SQ of my vinyl playback but it was a big improvement. I then added a FiiO D3 after reading on here some people liked it. Once again a small noticeable improvement, nothing great but probably $25 well spent.

Since I can never leave anything alone I was going to try out a Topping D30. I pulled the trigger on the last Mass Drop but since it wasn't going to ship in a timely manner I canceled it.

Now for my HP playback. I travel approx 120 days a year so I decided to up the game from cheap ear buds and my iPhone to a Schitt Fulla, work laptop>Schitt Fulla>Sony MDR7506. I was bored on my last trip and Guitar Center was 2 blocks away and had a good sale so I picked some AKG-K240's. I prefer them over the Sony (open vs close maybe) but will keep the Sonys for the plane. This had me questioning if upgrading from the Fulla would be worth it.

My decision after some research and a couple behind the scenes discussions with fellow AKer's is to pick up a Maverick Audio D1+ to run at home and it will be small enough to pack along as a DAC/HP Amp on the road, kill two birds as they say.

My question is. Any thoughts or other recommendations.

Sorry about droning on but was trying to think of all the questions that may be asked.

Thanks
:beerchug:

My concern would be traveling with Tube gear.

Eric
I thought about that also. But figured since Radios, Sonars and Radars would be bounced around way harder on ships and planes back in the day that it really wasn’t a concern being in my back pack as a carry on.

+1. I don't think the Maverick qualifies even as a "transportable" DAC. I'd look at the iFi lineup. Maybe XDuoo XD-05. I have a Centrance DACmini CX which is an older unit but pretty good and has all the inputs and a powerful class-A headphone amp, easy to pack, you can find one used for around $200.

Probably should’ve been a little more clear on what travel means . I would not be using it on the plane just in hotel room .

It surely can serve this purpose, but feels more like a commitment than anything else. I like to travel light.

It surely can serve this purpose, but feels more like a commitment than anything else. I like to travel light.

Thank for the replies!!!

I don’t bother, I am in a hotel 2-12 weeks at a time, I do one Backpack and 2 big check ins, if I have to do it I might as well be set. And it really is not a hassle at all, everyone one I know in my field travels heavy for the most part.

I also travel with test equipment so a DAC is no big deal really.

Sounds like you've already made the decision. I'll just say that the Maverick uses last gen technology. Not to criticize it but newer DACs have better USB interfaces than what's in the Maverick. Also no DSD support if this is something you might want to experiment with later on. Another way to slice it is to get a separate headphone amp and a standalone Dac, say a D30 and a Objective 2 amp, or Schiit separates (no DSD), which should be easier to pack and maybe provide more flexibility in the long run.

Sounds like you've already made the decision. I'll just say that the Maverick uses last gen technology. Not to criticize it but newer DACs have better USB interfaces than what's in the Maverick. Also no DSD support if this is something you might want to experiment with later on. Another way to slice it is to get a separate headphone amp and a standalone Dac, say a D30 and a Objective 2 amp, or Schiit separates (no DSD), which should be easier to pack and maybe provide more flexibility in the long run.

Not 100%, I always listen and will change my mind if it makes sense to me.

I appreciate your input!

You can always add a tube buffer or a tube headphone amp later. A tube in a closed enclosure isn't necessarily helping long term reliability.

Taking a device with tubes thru airport security? I don't think that's a good idea, the folks at Orlando International take a very dim view of funny looking devices on their x-ray screens.

Mark Gosdin

Taking a device with tubes thru airport security? I don't think that's a good idea, the folks at Orlando International take a very dim view of funny looking devices on their x-ray screens.

Mark Gosdin

Not a big deal, I take all kinds of test equipment thru all the time.

Maybe I'm not understanding because I don't know all the model numbers. To me the problem would be speakers. If you are using head phones not sure the Maverick is best choice. I like my Maverick, no hires and no headphones, big speakers. I don't think the headphone out goes through the tube.

Explain your road setup for dummys.

The D30 is only 20.00 more at Amazon. Was worth it to me to not have to wait for Massdrop and easier to return if there was a problem. It is a really nice dac and i am very happy with it. I would go that route and look for a good separate amp.

D30 is on MD again for 4 more days, expected ship date is 12/21 I suspect the Maverick won't be here much sooner. Get the A30 from the same drop for your headphones.

Back
Top Bottom