DAC under $200

Doh! I went and looked and still got it wrong.:( My apologies to all concerned.

FWIW: The Topping software installed quickly and easily. It automatically set up ASIO and WASAPI. My only complaint is that you have to download the software from Dropbox. It's not included in the box.

Please ignore my last post. I got off my lazy duff and looked. There are inputs for USB, optical and coax (SPDIF) on the D10. The fixed output from mine is connected to a Little Dot MKII headphone amp.

Please note:
AFAIK the maximum sample rate supported by a Toslink connection is 96KHz. I have no idea how high a Chromecast goes.

Well chromescast only goes as high as 96Khz I think, but that should be ok for my modest needs atm. CD's are only 44Khz right? Just trying to get some definition back when I stream a tune. Eventually, I'll invest in a more serious digital set up but for now I just want the best for my modest needs. I supoose I could always pick up a used Sonos ...

Any one else used the JDS Labs? That one looks to fit my needs pretty well too!

I just got an Ol DAC today. I had emailed them with a question one evening and got a reply in about 20 minutes; that impressed me enough I bought it. So far I love it. It has the detail I love without being harsh and seems to me to be a bit more full sounding than the Topping D30.
Granted I've only been listening to it awhile but Sara McLachlan is on her second run through the same album and I could probably sit here for several more times through.
Check their B stock page: https://www.jdslabs.com/store#b-stock It isn't a ton of savings but every bit helps and I couldn't find any cosmetic issues with mine.
I currently have it between a Squeezebox Touch (I got the Ol Dac with the USB and Optical input) and a First Watt M2 Clone.

Good thread. I've been using a HRT Streamer+.

189238_streamerii_2.png

I bought it mildly used for $99 ($299 when new, although this unit has been retired). A nice DAC that is powered by your computer. It feeds into my Kenwood preamp which was recapped a few years ago. The sound is still a bit condensed compared to vinyl play, so I'm looking to compare to another USB dac. I may try one suggested in this thread.

I've been studying and researching budget dacs here and other forums as well. Topping D30 and SMSL Sanskrit 6th are at the top of the list at for a little over $100 dacs.

I've read more than one ASR review. None of them mention how anything actually sounds. If you believe all DAC's sound the same specs and charts are all you need. IME DAC's sound different. So, I'm always interested in what any reviewer thinks about how a DAC sounds.

FWIW: I replaced the op-amp in my Topping D-10 with a discrete one (Sparkos Labs). IMO there is an audible improvement over the stock op-amp. The D-10 is fed FLAC and DSD files from a laptop. Its output drives a Little Dot MKII which drives several different headphone models.

I've read more than one ASR review.

As you posted a link to one a couple of weeks ago, that doesn't surprise me...

ASR make a point of concentrating on the objective measurement of performance, leaving the subjective 'how it sounds' to others. Subjective reviews are very much dependent on the listener, and their preferences.

That thread does at least provide a list of inexpensive DACs (some of which ASR have tested). That's the reason I posted it.

I like using ASR to eliminate the "unworthy" from the running. I then read as many reviews and subjective comments on the "worthy" as possible before making a decision. The best would be to listen to multiple options myself, but sometimes that's too much of a pain in the hind end.

I have no experience with the D10 but prefer the D30 to my Schiit Modi MB which cost more than double.

If it's not on massdrop for $99 request the drop. It's been there on and off for the last year. Wouldn't buy one from China due the cost of return shipping if there's a problem.

I've been down the rabbit hole looking for a DAC to pair with my Chromecast for Spotify purposes, and pulled the trigger on a Topping D30 yesterday because the amount of time I was spending researching was exceeding the amount of time I'd likely spend using it (streaming comes after vinyl and CD in my listening habits). If Schiit was more easily available in Canada, I'd have considered a Modi variant but getting the Topping from Amazon next day with a solid return policy rather than waiting a week plus and spending more for a comparable product just didn't make sense. Look forward to hooking it up tonight!

I have no experience with the D10 but prefer the D30 to my Schiit Modi MB which cost more than double.

If it's not on massdrop for $99 request the drop. It's been there on and off for the last year. Wouldn't buy one from China due the cost of return shipping if there's a problem.

You can get really close to the $99 price by searching for a coupon code for Parts-Express for $10 off $100 or more that brings it down to $109 with free, fast shipping and a good solid company backing it up.

quick follow up - the Chromecast Audio-Topping D30 combo sounds great. Very clear, detailed, and spacious. I might say I wish it sounded a touch warmer but whatever. Quite happy with the combo as a Spotify appliance.

You can get really close to the $99 price by searching for a coupon code for Parts-Express for $10 off $100 or more that brings it down to $109 with free, fast shipping and a good solid company backing it up.

Probably better deal than waiting for Massdrop regardless. They're not exactly known for being prompt.

get a Raspberry pi3 Model B with the Pi-DAC+ card. Has a Burr Brown chip in it and sound's superb. Total to build it is under 100GBP. Install Raspian lite from SDCard them get mOOde Audio Player or similar and connect to your LAN / Removable Drives, etc and the line out to an input on your amp and you're good to go, runs headless once setup.

I've just ordered a Pi-Fi DAC for £14.59. It's got a BB PCM5122 DAC on it. Will take a while to arrive, but I'll see how it works wth Volumio on my B2+

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom