1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Dac with Ethernet

Discussion in 'DACs' started by rromeo, Dec 8, 2018 at 7:32 AM.

1. rromeo

rromeo AK Subscriber Subscriber

I am looking for an inexpensive DAC with Ethernet. I had a PS Audio Direct Stream Dac jr that had this and allowed me to access my digital files that were in another room in my house on a NAS. I am using a google mesh system (wifi) and it allows for access points that have ethernet ports. Unfortunately I needed $$$ and sold the PS Audio. I am looking for something that will do the same thing for much less money now. I dont listen to digital music that much so it doesnt have to be incredible sound quality, though I would like to have my cake and eat it to. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. cpt_paranoia

cpt_paranoia Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I see the benefit of using a WiFi to ethernet bridge device and an ethernet DAC, over a simple WiFi DAC.

One possibility would be an RPi and a DAC 'hat'. Or a cheap Android media box, running something like BubbleUPnP as a renderer.

3. rromeo

My wifi is not that great. I get dropouts etc with just wifi. Using the ethernet port from the access point takes care of that.

4. cpt_paranoia

cpt_paranoia Well-Known Member

I read your post as suggesting you had WiFi to ethernet bridge units, not wired direct to your broadband router. Did I misunderstand you?

5. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

Then your WiFi router is suspect. Generally, if the WiFi router is more than 3 years old, replace it or if you are using one that came with your device, get rid of it.

6. rromeo

I have a NAS with flac files. With my old ps audio I would run ethernet from WIFI access point of Google Mesh WIFI system.
    I was also thinking about how when I just used laptop running usb to PS Audio using only wifi to access the NAS I had dropouts. When I connected another access point ethernet to laptop better. I got confused and put these two ideas together. My bad.
    Back to issue at hand. I would like to use a ethernet bridge dac. I was using bubble upnp with my android phone and also using tidal on phone and laptop which would see the psaudio.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. rromeo

Less than a year old and huge improvement over previous one. Very broken up tri-level house.

8. rromeo

Any Bluesound node users out there. That may work for me.

9. olson_jr

olson_jr Beware of cake hoarders & soft shoe shufflers Subscriber

I have a PS Audio DSD Directstream DAC with the Bridge II, absolutely love it, love it.

I also have a couple of Sonore microRendu's, they work well on Ethernet and are connected to a couple of older DACS.

Also have a Bluesound Powernode in use wirelessly and occasionally have a drop a dropout. I need to run another cable into that room.

Might want to try finding a used microRendu and cheap dac.