1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

DAC with passive volume control

Discussion in 'DACs' started by flo777, Oct 9, 2018.

1. flo777

flo777 New Member

Are there are any usb DACs available with a passive preamplifier/volume control?
    I'd like to run my tube amplifier with a passive preamp/dac combo.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. prighello

prighello Super Member

If you can find a beresford caiman MKII it has a passive volume control. It's a great dac and it also can be switched to line level output as well.

The newer version called the seg is buffered but the MKII is straight up passive. Wish I'd never sold mine!

Stanley, the owner of beresford is super helpful so you might be able to get an older version if he still had any left over.

3. dshoaf

dshoaf That high voltage buzz Subscriber

The Benchmark DAC1/2/3 has dual digital and analog signal chains. This started with the DAC1 HGC, I believe. They're excellent DACs and I use a DAC1 HGC in one system with a DAC2 L in the other. I've moved on from other preamps because I can get all I need out the Benchmarks. Check their discountinued listing for factory refurbs - I saved a lot of $$ that way.

Cheers,

David

4. fredgarvin

fredgarvin AK Subscriber Subscriber

You could just pick up a small, passive switcher such as the Nobsound or Schiit. $60 and pair it with any dac you choose.

5. rooster2001

rooster2001 AK Subscriber Subscriber

This. I use a Schiit Sys with a Topping D30 and JBL LSR308's in a small back room system and the combo works very nicely for me.

fredgarvin likes this.