DACs with remote control -- or not!

Discussion in 'DACs' started by Calypte, Feb 4, 2019.

1. mjw21a

mjw21a Super Member

Gieseler Groß DAC. Has beat out the PS Audio Direct Stream in a few shoot outs. The gap has widened with the new Kraftwerk linear power supply upgrade. Easily the best I've ever heard.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. BMWCCA

BMWCCA AK Subscriber Subscriber

I can't say my XDA-2 control is too "fine". I think it gives great control and holding down the remote volume button allows you to sail through its range. The Gen-1 XDA was known for a volume-control issue, I believe related to distorting when attenuated. It was completely fixed in the later units. I've had my XDA-2 since they were new and it is a godsend in my vintage solid-state-separates system for the ability not only to switch sources, but to control volume remotely. I only wish I'd bought several at the time. I couldn't be happier with mine. I, too, would be interested in what is available of similar quality with similar control that won't break the bank.

3. JoeESP9

JoeESP9 ESL's & tubes since 83

A plus for the XDA-2 that hasn't been mentioned is the number of inputs (6). There are two optical, two coax, a USB and an AES/EBU input. The volume control can step in .5dB increments or if the button is held down it rapidly increases volume.

Calypte likes this.
  4. Lou G

Lou G New Member

The volume control on the XDA-2 actually steps in 0.25 db increments for fine control.

5. RobertCO

RobertCO AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have an XDA-2 right now (that I use strictly as a DAC) and have been researching a possible replacement. Thanks for this comment about your experience with the XDA-2 vs. the Chord Qutest. I can skip the DACs in between now and save a little longer and get a Chord.

6. Decibel_116

Decibel_116 AK Subscriber

If my post helped you in any way, I am very glad. I spent a lot of time evaluating DACs of intermediate performance. It was not until I heard the Qutest that I experienced anything that I would actually consider an "upgrade" from the Emotiva DAC. The Qutest is implemented in a weird form factor with a different kind of user interface than I was accustomed to. If you can get past that, you will not regret it. I can't say enough good things about it's sound quality.

RobertCO likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.