DACs with remote control -- or not!

Ok, this is my first post.

First of all - Hello everybody.......I just jumped down the rabbit hole

I recently bought a Marantz 2325 vintage receiver and decided I would like to put the best quality for the money digital music into it via my laptop because I listen to a lot of digital music. I used to use a cord to split my 3.5mm jack into RCA L and R's and plug it into my generic home Sony home audio receiver. I am now looking at buying a DAC to compliment my new receiver. I am looking at this one, the "Dx3 pro" after reading this forum and also the subsequent reviews. It is in my price range and sounds like it would suit my needs (remote, bluetooth, sound quality).

I guess the question I have for the forum is this - would this be a worthy "investment" for my system? I have no earthly idea because I've never heard a DAC or had anything to compare the sound to.

Glad I found this forum to help me get through the rabbit hole. Thanks for any responses.

Ok, this is my first post.

First of all - Hello everybody.......I just jumped down the rabbit hole

I recently bought a Marantz 2325 vintage receiver and decided I would like to put the best quality for the money digital music into it via my laptop because I listen to a lot of digital music. I used to use a cord to split my 3.5mm jack into RCA L and R's and plug it into my generic home Sony home audio receiver. I am now looking at buying a DAC to compliment my new receiver. I am looking at this one, the "Dx3 pro" after reading this forum and also the subsequent reviews. It is in my price range and sounds like it would suit my needs (remote, bluetooth, sound quality).

I guess the question I have for the forum is this - would this be a worthy "investment" for my system? I have no earthly idea because I've never heard a DAC or had anything to compare the sound to.

Glad I found this forum to help me get through the rabbit hole. Thanks for any responses.

I actually put this in the wrong thread.......lol! I'll have to put it in the right thread.

Rabithole, I would say that if you are enjoying what you hear out of your new receiver with just your laptop connected, sit back and enjoy your music and leave it at that. The rabbit hole can get pretty deep if you let it. Everyone is different on how they think about this lovely hobby though! There is always "Better" in just about everything one wants to compare or look at. And at times, things aren't necessarily better, just different.

My only other thought is this, if you really are going to start looking at upgrading bits and pieces, look at the big picture and where you might want to be with your system-if you can answer that one in the first place of course, and try to minimize expense by buying once and buying right, if possible. Eliminate jumps, trading, selling on if possible! Just my own take on things of course!

Rabithole, I would say that if you are enjoying what you hear out of your new receiver with just your laptop connected, sit back and enjoy your music and leave it at that. The rabbit hole can get pretty deep if you let it. Everyone is different on how they think about this lovely hobby though! There is always "Better" in just about everything one wants to compare or look at. And at times, things aren't necessarily better, just different.

My only other thought is this, if you really are going to start looking at upgrading bits and pieces, look at the big picture and where you might want to be with your system-if you can answer that one in the first place of course, and try to minimize expense by buying once and buying right, if possible. Eliminate jumps, trading, selling on if possible! Just my own take on things of course!
Great answer. Thanks for the reaponse!

When we were kids we were happy just to have a DAC.... my first DAC was an Audio Alchemy and was bare bones 16/44.1k conversion....In the early days of outboard conversion I can't think of too many that had volume controls, if any. Now DACs can easily attenuate in the digital domain... some better than others.

My preamp is not remote controlled, so when I bought my current DAC a few years ago remote volume was high on the list. The NAD m51 has a great digital volume control, I use it often and it is smooth and transparent. I don't think I would buy a DAC today without remote volume , Volume keys ON FRONT panel ,ability for fixed output and XLR outs. As much as I like my DAC, NADs lack of front panel volume keys is a major ommision.

Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital has a very functional remote. // USB coax optical // Great with headphones. I use it as a preamp straight to tube power to khorns.
Play mostly FLAC files and stream from my computer with the USB. / Use the optical for SACD / CD.
https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/pro-ject-pre-box-s2-digital
Downside: It's not expensive enough for most of the DAC Divas.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital has a very functional remote. // USB coax optical // Great with headphones. I use it as a preamp straight to tube power to khorns.
Play mostly FLAC files and stream from my computer with the USB. / Use the optical for SACD / CD.
https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/pro-ject-pre-box-s2-digital
Downside: It's not expensive enough for most of the DAC Divas.:rolleyes:
I read the review at your link as well as the links from that to sellers' sites and nowhere can I see any reference to a remote. :dunno:

When I get home I could take a picture?
from their webpage:
"Pre Box S2 Digital is fully remoteable, it can also control the playback software of a computer. You can use Play, Pause, Forward and Rewind straight with your Pre Box S2 Digital!"
https://www.project-audio.com/en/product/pre-box-s2-digital/
pretty bitchin' IMO
Features
  • Dual mono construction
  • High end ESS Sabre ESS9038 dual DAC
  • Proprietary clock circuity design
  • Organic polymer capacitors and thin film miniMELF resistors
  • MQA hardware decoding
  • DSD64, DSD128, DSD256 & DSD512 (DoP, DSD512 native)
  • Up to 24bit/192kHz for optical & coax inputs
  • 8 selectable digital filter characteristics
  • 1 proprietary optimum transient digital filter
  • Headphone output on the front (6.3mm)
  • Synchronization of all internal oscillators
  • Jitter as low as 100 Femtoseconds!
  • Gold plated four layer PCB
  • Full alu/metal sandwich casing in silver or black

Last edited:
Google images shows a stubby black one and a skinny white version. You'd think the contents of the box would be more obvious! Thanks for the tip.

The new Burson Swing features what looks like a nice, hefty remote. It also features socketed, easily swapped opamps to tailor the sound to your liking. $399 but I think the remote adds to the price. Their products have built a nice reputation . The quality of the analog output is very important in a DAC's performance.

https://www.bursonaudio.com/products/swing/

I currently use a Topping D30 for my Chromecast Audio as a Spotify appliance and a Fiio D03K Taishan for the optical out of my television into separate channels on my Rega Elex-R. I like the simplicity of something like the Rega DAC-R - 2 opt, 2 coax, 1 usb input plus remote - to consolidate those sources into a single input, plus improve (?) the output of my Rega Apollo-R CD player. But that versatility isn't worth what the DAC-R would cost me, considering that most of my music listening is vinyl. But I do keep my eye open for DACs with multiple inputs and a remote control... for instance I just learned that the NAD D1050 supports IR remote, even though it doesn't come with one, so my Logitech universal could switch its inputs. And wheels are turning...

Back
Top Bottom