Dad's system

DavidJB

Hello everyone. Brand new here and honestly rather a novice at forums in general. So, I just found the exact turntable my dad had when I was a kid growing up in the 70s and 80s. Now, I'm looking at receivers and speakers to go with it. I really don't know exactly where to start here in audiokarmaworld. Maybe there's already an active thread of newbies such as myself putting together their first vintage system being helped by those of you with vastly greater knowledge? Thanks and cheers.

Welcome to the madness. Use the search bar and type in what you are looking for and hopefully it will give you what you are looking for. Try going to the forum that suits your search, like turntables, then your model. Overall a friendly and helpful bunch here.

Just browse the "General Audio Discussion" forum a bit in order to get familiar with the great AK atmosphere and in order to get some inspiration. Enjoy your stay! :)

Welcome! See if you can recall the other parts of your Dad's setup (receiver, speakers, etc.) then start the hunt!

Welcome to the AK Crew.

Great way to start, with a decent TT...with memories thrown into the mix as well!:thumbsup:

Take a peek at Canuck Audio Mart, some gear goes at pretty good prices at times. Also of course the pawns, but be careful here, eh?

Q

Well, I just made my first thrift store score. Pair of Sansui SP-2000 for $30. They're not pretty. Won't know what they sound like til I get home, but if nothing else, I have something to to take apart, learn from, and experiment with.

Speakers pass my ear test! Local guy here on CL has a Kenwood KA-3500 amp/KT-5300 tuner combo for $60. Can anybody tell me if they think that'd be well suited to drive the SP-2000s? Thanks.

So, the guy is actually asking $100 for the amp AND tuner. I'm wondering how much it would cost me to have it recapped if it needs it. Another guy locally has a QRX-7500, which I think would be a better match for my speakers...and it is far more aesthetically pleasing...but, far more expensive.

Sometimes ya gotta look at the LONG haul rather than the short one. By the time you do the caps and hold your breath on the rest?...well you get the pic, eh?

Q

I'm not saying you should or shouldn't go vintage (enough arguments here on both sides of that fence)
Many fine vintage pieces would fit your needs though if you figure in the necessary servicing for long term reliability they can rival costs of some nice entry level gear that might have features you like (remote, DAC)
Also if you become a subscriber you get access to Barter Town Forum , where very good deals come up. Welcome to the forums. Good luck with your system building

Back
Top Bottom