Dahlquist dq 10.. My find this morning... Maybe a little help from; the elders

ragtopolds6

I think woofers were switched.. Not sure square magnet on back... Are these newer version woofers... And are the mirrior

Nice find! Those have been refoamed at the least, the original foam was inverted. That may be somebodys idea of an upgrade. My woofers have the masonite rings as in Advents. And the foams roll inward. To me, it looks some work has been done to the Xovers, but i am not sure of the complete evolution of the DQ-10. Your pair are not mirror imaged, but if you wanted to make them so,it would not be very difficult. How do they sound? I absolutely love my set.

Those aren't mirrored and the woofers don't look to be original. The original DQ-10 woofers were mounted in a masonite ring.

How do they sound?

Those woofers are not original and they are not mirror imaged. All other drivers appear to be original.

Check out this video of my old pair to see what an original woofer looks like:

Yes.. I thought they should have the advent woofer... They sound great except for the tweeter. Which should be a easy fix.. And if I wanted advent woofers that would be easy to get also.. Well see what happens.. How about a nicer tweeter in there maybe..

Well just found both piezo tweeters are not working.. Have to research further
You should probably test them with a multimeter to determine if they're working or not. If I remember correctly, they only operate above 12-15 khz, and it's very difficult to tell if they're actually working just by listening.

What you have is serial number 000128 and that speaker looks great for its age. The woofer is not the one commonly found in the DQ-10 that is the advent masonite woofer, easily found on the bay as are proper surrounds if they need that and looneytunes2001 can supply them.

You have original crossover electrolytic caps and most would replace all but the 80µF cap (one between the coil and the two resistors upper right) with film caps and freddymac2 insists you use a film cap for that one, too.

Heck even the wiring looks unmessed-around-with. Do you have a serial number sticker on the other speaker?

A full rebuild is in order for these to be their best but you can just get them up and running right with new caps and see what they sound like. With a speaker that early in the production, I don't know about the woofer and its originality but suspect it is a simple 12" woofer to plug a 12" hole. The Advent-style woofer used in these was a 10" driver in a 12" basket to allow a long excursion.

You just collecting or are you going to be rebuilding these to allow them to take their place in, is that your, museum? Check out the Dahlquist Yahoo Site lots of paperwork to learn.

Sure would be good to be full information on that crossover since it seems so original and the schematic on the web is for s/n: 4300 and up or so. The later speakers added a tweeter fuse.

Guys are right the piezo doesn't start til about 12k and if you think it doesn't work because you can't hear it that is probably ok. I didn't hear mine either but when Steve had his computer over here doing some frequency work, third octave, I saw the super tweeter doing its work.

Last edited:
Ok, i just now did this to test my piezo tweets. Dont know how safe this is but...I set my preamp to an unused source, not phono. I turned down all parametric eq settings except the 10k knob on my Mc pre..which i turned fully clockwise. I then turned the volume all the way up on my preamp. If you just have bass and treble, turn down the bass, crank the treble! NO SOURCE please! Like this , i get a faint hiss from domes, and an even smaller hiss from the piezos..i used a red solo cup minus the bottom to listen...so they are surely passing signal, albeit somewhat tough to hear with my 53 year old ears..if you do this, be very careful not to amplify anything! And be careful not to pass any static electricity if your knobs are metal. Any pop or noise at full volume may guarantee a failed piezo.

blue shadow thanks for the info..lol on the museum...I call it the mad room...it all started about 4 years ago with a cer diagnosis...has helped me keep my mind in a good spot...I fix up the cabinets and surrounds flip some keep the better until something better comes along...always rotating ...serial number in 46 digits off other speaker..

What you have is serial number 00128 and that speaker looks great for its age. The woofer is not the one commonly found in the DQ-10 that is the advent masonite woofer, easily found on the bay as are proper surrounds if they need that and looneytunes2001 can supply them.

You have original crossover electrolytic caps and most would replace all but the 80µF cap (one between the coil and the two resistors upper right) with film caps and freddymac2 insists you use a film cap for that one, too.

Heck even the wiring looks unmessed-around-with. Do you have a serial number sticker on the other speaker?

A full rebuild is in order for these to be their best but you can just get them up and running right with new caps and see what they sound like. With a speaker that early in the production, I don't know about the woofer and its originality but suspect it is a simple 12" woofer to plug a 12" hole. The Advent-style woofer used in these was a 10" driver in a 12" basket to allow a long excursion.

You just collecting or are you going to be rebuilding these to allow them to take their place in, is that your, museum? Check out the Dahlquist Yahoo Site lots of paperwork to learn.

Sure would be good to be full information on that crossover since it seems so original and the schematic on the web is for s/n: 4300 and up or so. The later speakers added a tweeter fuse.

Guys are right the piezo doesn't start til about 12k and if you think it doesn't work because you can't hear it that is probably ok. I didn't hear mine either but when Steve had his computer over here doing some frequency work, third octave, I saw the super tweeter doing its work.

thanks for info blue shadow..will post picks of woofers..they have a square magnet tuff paper cone with flat attach edge..i think there dahlquist from another model

Tape reads dahlquist boy sYs.. Whatever that means..

Attachments

• IMG_20171209_170658.jpg
    IMG_20171209_170658.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20171209_170725.jpg
    IMG_20171209_170725.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20171209_170127.jpg
    IMG_20171209_170127.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 44
Back
Top Bottom