Dahlquist DQM-9

brainsmasher

Mid-Fi Madman
This has been a hell of a week for speakers, today I came across a pair of DQM-9's with the suede cabs for $30. They are in marginal shape needing woofer foam which of course is 9" instead of 10". What are the specs on these speakers as I have only found the bluebook stuff and parts listings. As far as the suede is there a way to make it look presentable without completely re-covering. Now I am about to flood the bay with former keepers. Thanks,
Brian

Brian;
OT: What are those speakers behind your new find? They look like a dead ringer for my mysterious Benjamin/EMI speakers, from the cabinet rim right down to the striped grill cloth. It couldn't be...

Here's a pic of mine for comparison

Darned good eye

I got those late last week and looked at your thread and really got nothing more than I already knew. Same model# S 1050 and cab which BTW are extremely nice I think but yours look very different with the grill off. Wonder why the same speaker looks so different.
Brian

Originally posted by brainsmasher
This has been a hell of a week for speakers, today I came across a pair of DQM-9's with the suede cabs for $30. They are in marginal shape needing woofer foam which of course is 9" instead of 10". What are the specs on these speakers as I have only found the bluebook stuff and parts listings. As far as the suede is there a way to make it look presentable without completely re-covering. Now I am about to flood the bay with former keepers. Thanks,
Brian

Dang, you guys stumble on some fine old gear. Ain't nothing around here.

:grnbounce

Wish I could help with yr question, but not familiar with the suede. :dunno:

Re: Darned good eye

Originally posted by brainsmasher
I got those late last week and looked at your thread and really got nothing more than I already knew. Same model# S 1050 and cab which BTW are extremely nice I think but yours look very different with the grill off. Wonder why the same speaker looks so different.
Brian

Stranger and stranger. Another AK-er sent me a promotional piece on the EMI elliptical speaker. I can scan it and email you a copy if you want. The '60s photos are great.
It's pretty much the definitive conclusion to the heated and regrettable debate about dispersion that briefly raged here.
Here's another clue. On the back of the lit is the name "SCOPE ELECTRONICS CORPORATION (subsidiary of Lynch Corporation). " Two more names I've never heard of. It states "Exclusive rights to U.S. distribution of EMI (Electrical and Musical Industries, ltd.) high fidelity components"

The speaker pictured has yet a third driver configuration, with two tweeters in line with the major axis of the woofer.

Sorry to hijack your thread. I'm going to pour myself a scotch and head off to bed.
Carry on!!

Re: Re: Dahlquist DQM-9

Originally posted by tentoze
Dang, you guys stumble on some fine old gear. Ain't nothing around here.

:grnbounce

Wish I could help with yr question, but not familiar with the suede. :dunno:

Stumbling has nothing to do with it. It's a matter of moving a mountain of manure in the belief that there has to be a pony in there somewhere. Sheer bullheaded stubbornness works for me. That and the belief that your time is only worth about 35 cents an hour. I could sit at home and stuff envelopes in my spare time, earning several times what it would cost to just buy the gear that I have 'found'. I guess it's just the thrill of the chase as much as the trophy itself, not to get all philosophical & all.

maybe not a "pony"

jacking up my own thread, oh well thats what I get for having coffee after 6pm Under this pile of manure is not a pony but a 65' chevelle malibu ss convertable. The pony is a 66' mustang which is in the driveway.
It does take alot of time and even more luck I spend 15 hours a week looking for stuff and about 14 hours and 57 minutes being empty handed but I now have sooo much stuff that even my OC friends think I have a problem, 75 receivers and at least 30 pairs of speakers and an untold amount of misc stuff that I have to have.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Dahlquist DQM-9

Originally posted by Bauhausler
Stumbling has nothing to do with it. It's a matter of moving a mountain of manure in the belief that there has to be a pony in there somewhere. Sheer bullheaded stubbornness works for me. That and the belief that your time is only worth about 35 cents an hour. I could sit at home and stuff envelopes in my spare time, earning several times what it would cost to just buy the gear that I have 'found'. I guess it's just the thrill of the chase as much as the trophy itself, not to get all philosophical & all.

The remark was not meant to belittle anyone's time, effort, or perseverance in digging up lost treasure; only a passing remark about the lack of any fruits for the labors of all that I put in. I applaud those more successful than myself.

I have a foam surround available that will fit the DQM-9 woofer. It is a 10", it's bigger than the 9" surrounds (ie, the available 9" surrounds won't reach to the rim on the basket where the surround is supposed to glue to). I happen to have a 10" surround that I use, that fits it, but BARELY. I mean, it like, grabs about a 1/8" wide ring around the outside of the cone. But, it works, looks fine after it's done (carefully!) and sounds fine.

I'd offer to send a pair of the surrounds, but really, in good conscience, I wouldn't want anyone besides me to try to do this, the parts are just that tricky to get right on there. However, if you would like me to do the job, I'd be happy to. Normally, at work, we charge like $40 each to do these woofers, but if you want to send 'em to me, I'd do 'em for $25 each, on my own time, including parts. It's a moderate PITA, but IMHO, the speakers are GREAT sounding, and it's worth it to me to see another pair up and running again!

Regards,
Gordon.

Thanks Gordon. I have some surrounds on the way that I will try to do the foam job with first, if I dont have caffine before I start I am pretty good at it.

I am interested in the power handling on these. I was able to find they are 95db but that was it. I would like to work these into my main rig but that has a good 200wpc and I dont want to hurt them on a beer induced "what can these speakers do" night.
Brian

Re: Re: Re: Re: Dahlquist DQM-9

Originally posted by tentoze
The remark was not meant to belittle anyone's time, effort, or perseverance in digging up lost treasure; only a passing remark about the lack of any fruits for the labors of all that I put in. I applaud those more successful than myself.

I was being wry and ironic, not defensive. I often think about all the time I spend on this hobby - which is ALL of my available time, actually - and I've given up trying to justify it in terms other than the opportunities it gives me to meet interesting people and fool with cool gear. I wish my wife had a hobby so I could occasionally get away with something, but my behavior is her favorite field of study. When I'm gone she'll deconstruct my collection and write a thesis on the mental illness that caused it to be accumulated. I guess I deserve no less.

Not to change the subject, but some of us just seem to be destined to acquire many times more than we could ever use of certain things. See shot below of my nearest desk drawer. Now is it clear that this stuff has nothing to do with knowing the time of day?

Back
Top Bottom