Damaged PSB The Amazing Alpha driver?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Ludin, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Ludin

Ludin New Member

So i bought a pair of psb amazing alphas and a Technics SA-GX303 receiver from an old gentlemen as my first pair of "bookshelf" speakers for 125 CAD which i know probably isnt a steal but i didnt care much about trying to lower the price or anything. My previous interactions with speakers were with computer 2.1 systems such as klipch promedia 2.1 and others from Altec Lansing. I mention this just to give a bit of background and to show my lack of knowledge within the realm of speakers. From reviews on the PSB speakers i have i found out that these are pretty decent speakers and i have fallen in love with them myself. NOW TO THE ISSUE. I realized these speakers are pretty decent with low frequency and decided to just play around with how well they are with it. The receiver i have also has a button called "loudness" where when turned on, i believe it has a preset EQ where it makes everything stronger including the bass.I played some songs and one of them (Mask off - Future) made the left speaker rumble/rattle slightly when the volume is pretty loud. I dont know the terminology to use as to what kind of sound it makes exactly but the right speaker continued its normal clear bass however the left one started to sound distorted when the volume was raised to hard. The grill cannot be taken off so i couldnt check if the woofer is torn or not and that is why i have come to you guys for help. I would like to know what the issue is and if its solvable. Also, I don't use the loudness setting really as heavy bass gives me a headache and the speaker is in my room so i can't put the volume that high much anyways as my family would get annoyed so should i just stick to these and not go back to such volumes or buy different speakers.. As a side note, i was looking on kijiji for another pair of speakers just in case these babies dont have much life in them left. I was wondering if you guys could give me some suggestions as to what speakers are at similar performance or slightly better. I have found a pair of paradigm 5se (not mkii or mkiii) for 160 CAD (120 USD) with stands but that seemed like more than some of you would dream of spending on those speakers. are they worth it?

2. bakes

bakes Super Member

Most likely the foam on the left speaker has given up the ghost. Do NOT play them again until you refoam them. It is simple, inexpensive, and will make them sing the way they were designed to sing. Replace the woofer foams on both speakers, the right one is likely not far behind.

3. dcreek

dcreek AK Subscriber Subscriber

As I recall, access to the speakers is through the back... Remove 4 (?) screws and lift out the rear panel. Take note of how the speaker wires are connected for reassembly.
    Refoaming is as easy as repairing a bike tire flat (especially with a small driver like your alphas).

4. Ludin

Ludin New Member

So I checked Kijiji for someone who does refoaming and only found one person who offers 30$ per speaker so 60$ for both? Are these speakers worth spending 60$ more on? I don't trust myself to do the refoaming as I will most likely screw it up no matter how easy.

5. jritchie1980

jritchie1980 New Member

I have 2 pairs of 5se mkii' with one set of paradigm stands. I paid less than $100 total for all four (and a paradigm center that I blew) you can find these speakers MUCH cheaper if you keep your sights open. I love them and they have rubber surrounds (no refoam needed) look for estate sales. Mid-to-large speakers are often considered a hard to move item and are cheap.

6. dcreek

dcreek AK Subscriber Subscriber

Ludin... I will weigh in, I think your alphas are an excellent choice for your first refoaming project. The main drivers are small and all you have to concentrate on is to be meticulous and gentle.
    There are demonstrations on utube and sizing/gluing instructions via Google. Once you develop some skills and experience you will be able to chase down some great deals on speakers that just require a little maintenance or repair...
    Good luck

7. Ludin

Ludin New Member

So i realized that the issue is that the speaker is vibrating which was the cause of the rattle/rumble i was hearing. I even checked the drivers and they are perfect. I used a toothpick to push in glue in between the front panel and the sides/top of the speaker and that reduced the vibration however it is not 100% gone.