Damaged Rotel Preamp from Ebay

RuSsMaN

Pudknocker
I was surfing one evening, just checking on amps, preamps, etc newly listed, BIN only...

Came across a nice little Rotel Unit, for $65 BIN, and guess what, it's in the same state. Not only should shipping be affordable, but transit time should be quick. Seller had a hickie or two on feedback, but nothing real recent.

I clicked, I paid. $80, $15 shipping + $65 bid. I paid on July 7th.

The auction is HERE.

Item arrived TODAY, the 20th, via Parcel Post ($7.49). When I saw the box on my porch, I knew I was in trouble. I have a small Parasound phono stage coming also, and I was praying (due to the size and condition of the box) that it was the Parasound, and not the Rotel Preamp.

I picked up the box, it's loose, moving around inside. All the corners on the box are rounded too. Open it up, 1 layer of bubble wrap around the preamp, and nothing more.

Facia is dirty, and the glass on the tuner section is pushed in. Plug it in, power it on, it won't come out of standby, and I get NO lights behind the glass. Not suprised really. Open her up, she stinks. Look around a bit, all the caps on the right side near the power switch have blown. Brown goo has oozed on the surrounding circuit board.

I've taken some pictures, and will post below. Take note of the size of the box, compared to the size of the preamp. This thing NEVER had a chance.

Needless to say, I'm done buying from ANYONE I don't know, unless it is a local sale, period. I honestly just 'grabbed' this, because I figured someone could use it at that price. I sure as hell didn't need it.

Cheers,
Russ

Last edited:
Preamp facia left, pushed in tuner window. Power button will not stay 'engaged', nor will the other small buttons near it.

As in picture above, hardly a 'very nice' unit as described in the auction. If it was just dust, I could deal with it, but so far - nothing is coming off.

This cap is near a small output transistor, headphone amp section possibly? Regardless, it ain't storing ANYTHING anymore.

And finally, the output caps? The biggest pair on the board.

More brown goo. I understand the unit probably did not ship this way, but due to whatever jolts or damage that occurred during shipping, due to FAR inadequate packing - caused them to blow when I tried to power the unit up.

Not a happy camper, to say the least. I have just emailed the seller, I'll keep the post updated with his response. Honestly, he will make this right (ala full refund), or he gets neg'd. I don't care if he retaliates - I'm not putting up with this piss-poor job of packing and describing items. If I have to take a couple hits to call these guys out, and make the public aware, so be it.

Cheers,
Russ

Last edited:
It was probably hosed before shipping...

and he hoped a damaged box arriving to you he could claim a insurance return. Unfortunately many e-bay'rs with junked goods try this knowing it won't be what the buyer paid for.

I too only bid from known sources anymore on e-bay. Too many bad eggs out there trying to get over on the good guys.

Ron

Thats really sad. That Rotel had potential man. With Parcel Post could you not insure it? I know the postal service won't track certain items and they tend to be just as bad as UPS when it comes to handling.

Those caps were most likely like that before it was shipped.

The "brown goo" didn't leak from the caps. Its a glue that is applied to keep the cap in place prior to wave soldering. The use of glue is a common practice for mass produced consumer gear.

I can see the piss poor packing job, But those caps appear to have been glued in at the factory.
The mitsubishi tv's of the eighties had that strange japanese glue used on several areas of the pcb to secure items, Problem is with age it darkens and then becomes conductive causing problems if used on the foil side.
Those caps are most likely fine, If they would have leaked it would have been a liquid and I doubt if all of them would have done that.

Last edited:
If you guys say so, I'll take your word for it. It's just not consistant at all, and not all the caps on the board have it. I don't know, real thick and dark, or thin and brown, covering some small resistors almost completely.

Also noticed a couple resistors on the tuner board that are only holding on by one end.

Who knows, thanks for the replies though. That's good to know on the glue - she still does stink though, not horrible, but noticeable.

Cheers,
Russ

I hardly think there is anything that could have happened during shipping that would make the caps leak. If that is even the case. If they are infact leaking then i think its pretty safe to say he sent it that way.

Sorry you received this crap,RusS.It must doubly piss you off as you take such pride in the stuff you sell and your shipping techniques. I hope he(the seller) issues you a refund PDQ

Alan

No answer yet.

Hooked the preamp up to the Variac, at 90volts, the two big caps are 'hissing' ever so slightly, and the 'goo' is spreading.

Whatever happens, no big deal at this $ amount, but the seller will get a negative, pure and simple - whether it was shipped this way, or it's damage that occured due to the pack job - unless a full refund is issued, and issued soon.

I do take pride in my packing, you have the link to the auction, and my ID - look for yourself what people have left re: packing on my feedback. Regardless, as I said, I'm done with buying on ebay, if it isn't a someone I know, or local, period.

Cheers,
Russ

Russ,
What was the outcome of this?
Hey I noticed the guy left his # on his auction of some klipsch that he got a neutral on! Hmm theres one for the bathroom wall :p:
Looks like he purposefully did only the one picture from a distance so you couldn't see damage to front! If i can't see closeups I don't bid.

BTW nice Mitsu and technics tuners you have up now. Never saw one with the dial section on bottom.

Regards
Bill

Got the refund some time ago, forgot to update the post.

Yeah, they are both neat peices, hopefully some other people will think so before auction end.

Cheers,
Russ

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom