Damn, I think I found a replacement for my Yaqin MC10T

mjw21a

Damn, I think I found a replacement for my Yaqin MC10T. All point to point wiring and plenty of grunt at 45Wx2. Pricing is very reasonable.

OldChen K3 KT88 Push-Pull Tube Amplifier HIFI EXQUIS AIQIN 45Wx2 Class A handmade Scaffolding amp OCK3

http://s.aliexpress.com/jQFjIvQf

What do you think guys. The last Oldchen SEP amp I got was first class in terms of quality. I'm thinking it's time for me to sell my Yaqin (circuit boards).

Ok, ordered it. I look forward to comparing it with my MC10T.... Its priced a little lower though looks to have a better quality construction. Hopefully a superior starter amp :)

I'm the Guinea pig for this experiment :)

I've also ordered some Melz 6H8C, Reflektor 6H8C.... I already have stock of Reflektor 6P3S-E power tubes. This should prove interesting.

Thing is, I don't know what each of the signal tubes are for. There's three rather than the expected 2 or 4....

Last edited:
OK, the amp has shipped today via DHL Express. I daresay it will arrive next week. Just have to wait for the tubes I have ordered for it then :)

Great looking amp naked.......terrible looking tube cage. I hope you like it, I like the less is more in the area of bling on the front plate. Sometimes the Chinese makers chrome too many surfaces and it cheapens the look for me. I prefer a brushed or matte look.

Yeah, it is an ugly tube cage though I won't use that until we have kids anyway. It was actually a prime requirement of a new amp and gave me a reason to justify the new amp to my wife. It also appears to be of far better construction than the Yaqin so it's a better amp going into the future :)

I always found the Gold, black, green and aluminium of the Yaqin MC10T to be visually pleasing though unfortunately it's a pain cleaning between the transformer covers. This looks to be better in that respect. A simple though tasteful finish on this I think and I suspect it will be a better sounding amp. The tubes used mean it should be more linear with lower distortion levels too :)

Last edited:
Can't see well the inside but are the blue things on both side bias adjustment pots?
Not fun as you have to adjust the bias the belly open then.

Well, please keep us posted on the sound quality.

Can't see well the inside but are the blue things on both side bias adjustment pots?
Not fun as you have to adjust the bias the belly open then.

Well, please keep us posted on the sound quality.

Looks like resistors to me....

FB_IMG_1501923839013.jpg

It does look like two multi turn trimmers on each side. Small board with one cap and two blue trimmers.

yeah, multi-turn trim pots are what I see as well.

If the bottom has a hole through it to pass a screwdriver, not so bad.

Is it that much of a cost savings to have internal bias pots? Terrible selling point although I think this is a nice looking amp.

It seems that it's now in Sydney so I should receive it this week. I've some KT120's coming for it as well as Meltz signal tubes

It seems that it's now in Sydney so I should receive it this week. I've some KT120's coming for it as well as Meltz signal tubes
Arriving by truck train? :biggrin: Sorry, too many Australian horror films. :oops: I do luv'm though. :thumbsup:

Usually air freight to Sydney or Brisbane and delivery truck for the final leg of the journey.

It might be a good idea to fit panel mountings for multi-turn trimmers to save a lot of work when you wish to adjust bias.
I attach a short pdf of the type I fitted to Yaqin MC10 amplifiers. Obviously the panel mounting measurements will differ but it should give you some idea.

Attachments

• Details of bias pots.pdf
    199.1 KB · Views: 62
It might be a good idea to fit panel mountings for multi-turn trimmers to save a lot of work when you wish to adjust bias.
I attach a short pdf of the type I fitted to Yaqin MC10 amplifiers. Obviously the panel mounting measurements will differ but it should give you some idea.

Excellent advice. I think it's definitely a great idea :)

Ok, the amp arrived today. I haven't had a chance to bias yet though it sounds absolutely fantastic. Not yet as transparent as my Yaqin MC10T (upgraded Mundorf ZN coupling caps + Cosmos Tokos volume pot) though far more bass and more open at the top end than the MC10T and it's barely got an hour on it. It has plenty of slam where it exists in music and an energy which is shared by my other Oldchen amp, a little 10W single ended amp.

I've 4x Tung Sol KT120's, 1x Shugang CV121-Z and 2x cheap Reflektor 6H8C tubes. I've much better NOS tubes on the way.

So far with certain music it ready outperforms the MC10T in many ways.

One other thing I didn't expect is how heavy this thing is. It's quite a bit heavier than the Yaqin. Far more solid feeling all round. This is certainly a step up over the MC10T despite costing pretty much the same amount of money.

IMG_20170809_205813.jpg

Back
Top Bottom