dang it all to heck - A-909 amp

quaddriver

120 What?'s per channel
Subscriber
got one of these in nice shape, just about had it done, all spiffed up and while setting the idle, one of the clips slipped off and touched emitter-collector.

zap!

As MTF says: 'racing to destruction'

it was determined that the entire right channel had to come out, the output might in fact be ok, but one of these impossibly small bias trans literally blew up (2SA1048), and with outputs out, but drivers in, it stayed in protection so I figure everything on the right, past the STK3082II needs to go.

searching replacements, it seems the 2sa1048 has in spirit, if not shape a bretheren in KSA1015, and I have dozens of A1015/C1815 pairs so thats doable. (to replace all the C2458s and A1048s in the amp)

now the drivers, 2SB631K/2SD600K seem to match up well with KSA1220/KSC2690. Elsewhere I had seen MJE243/253 pairs, but while they handle almost 3x the current (which aint an issue at driver stake with 3MV across the .33 emitter resistor), they have less gain.

Im working the outputs subs now. I just hope the STK is ok, once I pulled everything, I got her up on left channel, then I fed the right channel input and jumpered over to the left output of the STK - so it would feed the amp. It did, but the dueling feedback circuits started breaking up with volume, but Im hopeful the STK is ok. its all over EBay for $4-$10 for what I am sure is a knockoff, but they seem serious about this knock off...

You seem to be getting to grips with the issues, Good luck!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom