Daniel Day-Lewis is retiring.....Really Variety says so

transmaster

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Daniel Day-Lewis is retiring from acting. To me his greatest single roll was that of William Poole, in the "Gangs of New York" better known to history as Bill The Butcher the notorious leader of the Bowery Boys street gang and a leader of the anti Catholic, anti Irish, anti-black, generally anti immigrant "Know Nothings". The Gangs of New York movie does have some problems from a strict historical aspect The New York Draft riots depicted in the move took place in 13-16 July 1863 and were ended when the Four Corners area was taken under naval artillery fire and an assault by Fleet Marines. This took place 8 years after Bill The Butcher's murder in 1855. With this said the move nails the Four Corners neighborhood as it existed at the time. He was in so many great roles but that of William (Bill the Butcher) Poole was my favorite.

f2el8kgfiqnx1s2qgxci.jpg

He may actually embrace the "Always keep them wanting more." tenet of entertainment.

Or, 3 best actor Oscars and the man's had enough of it for one life.

Either way, he'll be missed.

I was reading that his acting style was to become the person he was depicting in the movie. He was that person even off camera and maintained the persona 24/7 until he was finished with the role.

Yes, definitely a fanatical personality who throws himself into whatever he is doing whole heartedly. I seem to remember that I heard something about him taking some time to learn all about how to make fully handmade shoes from an Italian craftsman. I imagine he is a really interesting, far from typical person. I have enjoyed many of his onscreen portrayals. I can't blame him for avoiding the lime light, I can't imagine how draining it must be to have to deal with that every day.

In show business there is no such thing as bad publicity. Maybe DDL is retiring but, I can't help but suspect some movie or book is in the pipeline that will benefit from all this free PR. He was awesome in "There Will Be Blood."

Back
Top Bottom