Darn...not a tube amp! Nevertheless...

SixCats!

SMOKED my (non-tube) 250...seek help!

Hi all,

Today, I picked up a McIntosh 250 amp (from the husband of the woman that is doing my house plans). Darn...unless I am missing something...this is a SOLID STATE amp! SHOOT!
Oh well...in addition to the 250, I am also going to get a
C24 PRE AMP, a MR 73 tuner and a DUAL 1229 turntable in a custom cabnit. Not what I was hoping for but...for the price I paid ($200.00 for ALL!) I shouldn't complain. Depending on the worth of the aformentioned gear...I plan to pay additional money to the gentleman (who was more concerned with the gear going to someone who would appreciate the McIntosh gear and put it to good use). I would appreciate ANY information about the quality of this gear. Thanks.

Regards,

SixCats!

Last edited:
Way to go SixCats! I'd say you got about $1000. discount. :)
The quality is very much there, fire them bad boys up! You won't
be saying shoot when you hear your new setup! Very Nice!

Carl

Cool! Nice deal for someone who cares about it...

I agree. Just clean it up, hook it up and then decide if you're still interested in Mac tube stuff.

Let's get a report, too.

Cheers,

David

What a good score!!! Well done. The 250 is the immediate successor to the 240 and is as close to tubes as you are going to get without the heat. My first Mc was a 250 and it was good enough to get me hooked. Definitely want to hear your reaction.
Regrdz
Bill

Oh SixCats! Say shoot if you want to, but you got some very nice pieces very inexpensively. Congrats, man! My only Mc power amp (at the moment) is a 250 and it is quite nice indeed. You're in for serious addiction now.

Hi all,

Oooh God...I want to CRY! SMOKE SMOKE SMOKE!
I just plugged in the amp and...SMOKE! SOB!
It might be that I got something wet from the cleaning solution I used to clean the outside of the Mc. I will let the amp sit for a day or so and try again but...I don't get a good feeling about this situation. Any suggestions! HELP! Thanks all.

Regards,

SixCats!

SixCats, I suggest you take the bottom off and look for burned things first. You should need only a flat blade screwdriver. No sense in firing it up again if you can see it needs work. Yes, it is very much worth fixing BTW. Just my thoughts.

Carl

I hate to say it but if it sat for a prolonged period be it SS or tube I bring it up on a variac.

If you have not plugged in any of the other pieces don't until you get the amp straighted out.

As for scoring this gear I think there is no shame in owning Mc SS gear. I have been a SS Mc nut for a while now.

Good luck and I hope you have the gear singing soon.

Grumpy

The 250 was my main amp for 25+ years and only a few years ago replaced by its bigger brother of the same period, a MC2105. Still I think 1 of the best sounding ss amps ever.

The 250 smoking when you turned it one was just karma coming back to you for "stealing" this system from the lady for only $200.

The others are right, you need to take the bottom off, look for burned parts, and replace them. Even if you have to take it to a McIntosh dealer for repair, you're still way ahead of the game.

Brian's right: The 250 is considered to be a great sounding amp and one rebuilt by an authorized McIntosh repair center, with the paperwork displayed in your ad, would net you a good profit on eBay. However, I'd suggest you listen to it first before you think about selling it - You may decide to sell your current amp - The MC250 is THAT GOOD.

I don't much about the MR73 tuner other than McIntosh made no bad sounding tuners, so again, bring it up on a variac, and if it's OK, listen to it first before you decide what to do with it.

And there is a market for the Dual 1229 on eBay. It may need a new idler wheel and having it serviced with a copy of the stuff done to it posted in your ad will net you a higher price.

I don't know beans about the McIntosh C24, but I've heard it was not considered to be one of their better efforts in preamps, but then again there are enough "McNuts" on eBay you might be able to get somewhere between $200 and $300 just for the C24.

Good luck in your endeavors, and at least listen to your 250 amp (after it's fixed) and the MR73 tuner before you decide to sell them - You just might decide to keep them! :cool:

Hi guys,

Thanks for the information and all your support. I am encouraged to learn that 250 is a high quality amp. VR...thank you for the information you provided...however please note...I don't have plans to sell ANY of this gear. I promised the son of the original owner that I would take good care of this gear and I intend to get this gear in top running condition and then set it up in my future new home. I also plan to pay this gentleman more money for this gear later in the future. QUESTION: Should I have the 250 serviced by MCINTOSH tech only? I sure would appreciate your thoughts/suggestions on this question. I will have to travel over 100 miles (each way) to bring the 250 to a McIntosh dealership however...I am willing to make such a trip.
Perhaps I could SHIP this unit to a repair center? Any recommendations on a good McIntosh tech? Thanks all.

SixCats!

SC

AK member and sponsor Terry Dewick can fix the ole girl up right for you http://www.mcintoshaudio.com/dewick_repairs.htm

He repaired my C32 Preamp quickly. His fees are gobs cheaper then my local Mc dealer ! ;)

I hope ya get the system up and running Soon. Good luck.

Grumpy

SixCats
If you go to the McIntosh (www.mcintoshlabs.com) and put your area code into the 'Service Locator' they will tell you if there is an authorized Mc service shop in your area which would save you some shipping. I use the local Mc service shop in Toronto (Micron Electronics - not a selling dealer) and have been well served by them.
Sorry to hear about the smoke!! Probably just 'audiokarma'...
Good Luck
Bill

Hi Grumpy and Bill,

Thank you both for the information on repair. Bill...I did infact yesterday go to the Mc site (as you suggested). The closest AUTHORIZED dealer is 110 miles (and two States) from me. I have little time to travel to such a dealer. Grumpy...THANK YOU so very much for the link! I have book marked Terrys site and will call him in the (hopefully) near future to repair this baby! My wife is about ready to KILL me if I spend any more money now. Ooooh....I pulled the bottom off the 250 and I saw nothing that looked bad but...I know it will smoke if I plug it in. This is the first AMP that I have ever had a problem of this sort. I look forward to getting it strighten out. Oooh...Grumpy...is it likely that the Mc
PRE AMP and TUNER will have the same problem ? God...I hope not.

Regards,

SixCats!

Terry DeWick

SC,

I second grumpy's recommendation of Terry DeWick: He's done superb work for me in the past on several different McIntosh pieces for fair and reasonable prices.

His location is about a 3 1/2 drive from where I live, so I've always driven my stuff to him to deliver and pick up - Gas cost is probably equal to shipping cost, but then I don't have to worry about shipping damage. And then there was the time the topless girl motorcycle gang passed us on I-40 one time when we were making the trip, but that's another story! :D

Re: Terry DeWick

Originally posted by Vinyl Rules!
And then there was the time the topless girl motorcycle gang passed us on I-40 one time when we were making the trip, but that's another story! :D
A story worth telling if you ask me! :grnbounce:

Hi VR,

LOL...man...I used to live in NASHVILLE, TN (Bellevue)
and somehow I missed that Girl Biker gang! I used to drive on the I-40 all the time! Oooh well...lol. I miss TN.
Anyway...I for sure will give Terry a call. Thanks again.

Regards,

SixCats!

Back
Top Bottom