Daryl Dragon--"the Captain" of Captain and Tennille Has Passed

I was never a fan of his, but then I found an obscure surf movie soundtrack by a group called Farm titled the Innermost Limits of Pure Fun from 1969. As I read the credits, I saw that Daryl and his brothers, Dennis and Doug, played on it. That was pretty cool.

20140930_70702e.jpg

Daryl (son of Carmen Dragon, the symphony orchestra conductor) as a musician was about as competent as anyone in the biz, afaik.
He was named "Captain Keyboard" by fellow band members during his Beach Boys years and it stuck.

Last edited:
Very talented, like his dad! I do remember watching The Captain & Tennille variety show. A class act! RIP

There was a lot of hypocrisy about this - they sang the famous song, but he got what appeared to be Alzheimers so she dumped him and in the divorce complaint stated she didnt want the burden of taking care of him but gave interviews blaming him for being distant etc....turns out he needed a meds change but the damage was done.

so change the lyrics to:

love, love will keep us together,
unless you get Alzheimers....

Its odd that the TV variety show isn't remembered, given the 'A' list guests.
I remembered the Leonard Nemoy Masterpiece Theatre send-up bit, but as a Muppets feature, Leonard (as Alistair Bannister) in Groucho Glasses posing as Alistair Cooke stuck with me.
Perhaps it was the cookie monster as Alistair Cookie on The Muppet Show "Monsterpiece Theatre" that crossed me up.

Last edited:
Not many people know that Daryl Dragon was credited on several of the post-Pet Sounds Beach Boys albums, in the wake of the Smile collapse. In fact, he and Dennis Wilson were working together on a possible Dennis Wilson solo album project in the wake of the making of the oddly-named Beach Boys album "Carl and the Passions - 'So Tough'", and a couple of tracks from said project ended up on "So Tough". Here is one of them:

Back
Top Bottom