DAT write protect

Pioneer Tom

Hey everyone. I'm sure this has been brought up before but does anyone know what DAT decks don't have the "make one copy" write protect in them? DAT was the way things were heading in the late 80's. I couldn't wait 'til they came out to replace analog cassette decks. My Pioneer receiver I had just purchased in 1989 had a DAT button for it. And it never happened! Things were delayed and then they talked about being able to only make one copy. I heard the Japanese and Americans could never agree on anything and it died (SOOO ridiculous!).. except for in professional studios. I know George Martin used 'em!
But some decks did get made and because of this fizzle DCC's and MD's came about in lower quality. They should never have happened! And then recordable CD's came about which was a miracle if they played on all CD players.
Anyway, any recommendations for a DAT deck that can record copies infinitely before I start searching?

I am not sure any deck has a feature like that, unless it can be hacked. I use a Tascam DA-30 MK II, and I do all digital recordings with superb results. I happen to love the DAT format, and like you, even though I have superb cassette decks, I wanted a great digital tape format to play side by side to my cassette decks.

SCMS was defeatible or absent on DAT machines marketed as professional, and on consumer machines it was supposed to be always on in order to placate the record labels.

I have a Fostex D-5 deck that doesn’t have SCMS, and a Tascam DA-20 on which SCMS can be defeated by a simple button combination. Both were marketed as pro DAT decks.

Last edited:
I am not sure any deck has a feature like that, unless it can be hacked. I use a Tascam DA-30 MK II, and I do all digital recordings with superb results. I happen to love the DAT format, and like you, even though I have superb cassette decks, I wanted a great digital tape format to play side by side to my cassette decks.
I have two Sony WA9ES dual cassette decks that sound perfect! I also have a Sony TC-K707ES deck that some have described as sounding too bright but I love it. I recently purchased a Pioneer CT-F950 simply because how awesome it looked!

But yeah I'd love to get a DAT deck. I had thought that professional decks were the best option simply because I assumed there would be no recording restrictions.

I have two Sony WA9ES dual cassette decks that sound perfect! I also have a Sony TC-K707ES deck that some have described as sounding too bright but I love it. I recently purchased a Pioneer CT-F950 simply because how awesome it looked!

But yeah I'd love to get a DAT deck. I had thought that professional decks were the best option simply because I assumed there would be no recording restrictions.

You should definitely add a DAT player to your arsenal...they sound simply amazing. I also recently picked up a Pioneer CT-F900 with the walnut case...simply stunning looks.

You should definitely add a DAT player to your arsenal...they sound simply amazing. I also recently picked up a Pioneer CT-F900 with the walnut case...simply stunning looks.
I know really! It looks like it should be in an episode of "Buck Rogers" in 1979! With Twikki

Back
Top Bottom