1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Data cabling

Discussion in 'DACs' started by Powertech, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Powertech

Powertech Active Member

As I will have either option, is it better to go with phono type SP/Dif or Toslink optical between CD player and DAC?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. savatage1973

savatage1973 Addicted Member

Doesn't really matter--both are asychronous means of data transfer--USB is synchronous, which is better.

3. Powertech

Powertech Active Member

Thanks for the heads up. I think I will try both and see if there is an audible difference.

4. mroboto

mroboto Super Member

Optical is electrically isolated, so , less concerns about ground loop or other noise problems.

Bill Ferris likes this.
  5. Guest125

Guest125 Active Member

Both come with their own advantages and disadvantages. SPDIF is the oldest and very reliable. Use RG6 quad shield with RCA termination for the best interconnect. TOSLINK comes with jitter issues, but is convenient. I always use SPDIF first.

olson_jr, FileFixer and Bill Ferris like this.
  6. JoeESP9

JoeESP9 ESL's & tubes since 83

IME it depends on the accuracy of the clock and associated circuits. With asynchronous the receiving device uses it's internal clock. This may be the better option especially with laptops. The best USB DAC's all operate asynchronously.

Gordon Rankin of Wavelength Audio wrote the first asynchronous protocols for USB. IIRC he got a patent for it.

7. gvl

gvl Super Member

Generally shouldn't matter with a good DAC, may matter on lesser DACs. Coax is considered to be better than Toslink. Quality gear should be using isolation transformers on coax to avoid noise/ground loop problems. Cables are cheap enough, try both and see if you can pick any differences.

8. E-Stat

E-Stat AK Subscriber Subscriber

The Toslink (optical) standard has higher inherent jitter. I prefer S/PDIF using a 1.5M cable to minimize reflections.

FileFixer and Bill Ferris like this.
  9. for_p1

for_p1 Addicted Member

I do NOT recommend to use Toslink or S/PDIF with any DAC that does NOT re-clock input stream. In both cases excessive jitter is unavoidable. With re-clocking or asynchronous rate converter jitter is completely eliminated.

10. gvl

gvl Super Member

SPDIF interfaces have come a long way... Chips like WM8805 or AKM4113 are fairly effective in recovering stable clock from jittery inputs.

11. House de Kris

House de Kris Loud-n-Deep

Folks, both Coax and TOSLINK use the SPDIF protocol. So to say, "I prefer SPDIF to TOSLINK," doesn't really make sense. Saying you prefer Coax to TOSLINK makes sense. Saying you prefer copper to plastic makes sense. Saying you prefer electrical to optical makes sense.

12. E-Stat

E-Stat AK Subscriber Subscriber

I avoid Toslink. Yes, coaxial via BNC.

13. House de Kris

House de Kris Loud-n-Deep

In my experience, jitter can never be completely eliminated. Heck, even passing a signal through a couple inches of PC trace has the potential of inducing an increase in measurable jitter. An SPDIF interface typically induces a "cyclical, correlated" jitter. Reclocking this stream will trade that flavor of jitter for "cyclical, uncorrelated" jitter. An asynchronous interface has the greatest chance of having the less benign form of jitter, "random," but it too will probably have a bit of cyclical uncorrelated jitter due to the power supply to the local clock.

14. Guest125

Guest125 Active Member

ESS Sabre DAC's has a very good internal jitter elimination section for SPDIF inputs, where the incoming samples are "time-aligned" and picked up at the internal clock's pace. It's one of the reasons I like the Yamaha I use.