Dating a Pioneer PL-600

6BQ5

Is there a way to estimate the age of my PL 600? I don't even know the years it was manufactured.

(I'm referring to the 70's era PL 600 with direct drive, not the 90's era with belt drive.)

Thanks!

-=- Boris

The 1st TWO LETTERS of the Serial number are the indicators for the Year and Month manufactured. The decoding information is in THIS THREAD, "PIONEER Dates of Manufacture" in the sticky section at the top of the forum 1st page.

As a point of reference the PL-600 (Direct drive ) was built between 1979 and 1982 for the 1980 to 1982 model years. (Model Years start in Sept, and end in Aug.) Production started earlier in the physical year to build up stock and to carry out logistical support for the model year.

My serial number is AA 18435 S. That should make it January 1980.

Thanks for this! :)

-=- Boris

If you want to date a turntable, that is your business. Sure, if things start to get serious, it might be an issue. But if it is just a date or two does it really matter?

If you want to date a turntable, that is your business. Sure, if things start to get serious, it might be an issue. But if it is just a date or two does it really matter?

Then again, it's never polite to ask a lady on a date for her age! ;)

Back
Top Bottom