Dating your Pioneer...

Glenz75

Sansui and Pioneer Freak
No it doesn't mean taking your SX-1250 out to a nice restaraunt and wineing and dining it and then see a movie afterwards and then its back to your place for coffee and extras..:smlove:............Okay... now thats sick!!....Sheesh! I need HELP!! :lmao:........Sorry guys its been a long week....:sigh:

Now the main reason for this thread......

A while ago me and a friend figured out how to date Pioneer gear with the first two letters of the serial number.
I did post something similar to this ages ago but without the sicko crap at the top about getting it on with a Pioneer rc'ver....:bash:.....on how to date Pioneer units, but for any newbies, here it is again.... I was also pondering the idea of starting a database for the Pioneer serial numbers, but not sure if its worth doing.

Have a look at later Pioneer units that state the year and month of manufacture on their serial number labels, I basically worked backwards from there.
And here is what I figured out and its pretty accurate - having enough Pioneer gear from the 70's to the late 80's I was able to put this together.......

The FIRST letter of the serial number is the the YEAR it was built and the SECOND letter is the MONTH it was built.

Here is the code for the the YEAR:

I can only go as far back as 1967 as thats the oldest Pioneer I have which is a SM-83 Tube amp.

M = 1967 N=1968 O=1969 P=1970 Q=1971 R=1972 S=1973 T=1974 U=1975 V=1976 W=1977 X=1978 Y=1979 Z=1980

Then it goes back to the start of the alphabet...

A = 1981 B=1982 C=1983 D=1984 E=1985 F=1986 G=1987 H=1988 I=1989 J=1990 K=1991 L=1992 M=1993 and so on.

Now the code for the MONTH :

A = JAN B = FEB C = MARCH D = APRIL E = MAY F = JUNE G = JULY H = AUG I = SEP J = OCT K = NOV L = DEC

For example my Pioneer SX1050 has the s/n starting with the letters X and H - so it was built in 1978, August of that year and my Pioneer SM-83 has M and E - so it was built in 1967, May of that year.

As for the rest of the numbers, well thats a mystery, there is probably a sequence/code like production line numbers, how many made in that month etc, like the Sansui serial numbers.

So have a gawk at the back of some of your Pioneer's you'll find it rather interesting to date your gear. I have two SX1280's and they're about one year between each other.

Let me know your findings, would be keen to see if anyones got units which are closely related.

Cheers all :)
Glen

Last edited:
That's very interesting. I have some old Pioneer pieces lying about, I'm gonna have a look. Thanks!! And if you do decide to sleep with your Pioneer, most of them have nice knobs!:stupid: :screwy:

Its good to see other people have a warped sense of humour, I've just been having a good laugh at the comments.
I don't know what posessed me to come up with that crap!?!..... :lmao:......:banana:

Keep the silly comments coming.... :stupid:

Cheers
Glen

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom