Dave Brubeck - Time Out

Funny this thread popped up. I was just listening to this in the car today. Well, it was a cassette, so I don't know how many eyes it had. Sounds great though.

You been in jail or something? first jazz album at 46? you best be catching up. It's practically un-American not to like Jazz, and I'm pretty sure it's a requirement of the Patriot Act to listen to at least one jazz album by the age of 18

I just turned 50 this year and started for the first time to listen to older jazz (still like my smooth jazz) especially more Bop style jazz.

Dave Brubeck - Time Out is a MUST, MUST have for any jazz lover and you also need to read up on why the album was so different and instrumental in changing jazz attitudes.

I have an original on the original cover without the Take Five on cover. Picked it up for $7 US very good condition. Plays well, great album :yes:

Daza.

Found a stereo six,-eye at a used record store in Sacramento, think $4. Cover is a little beat-up, vinyl looked just so-so. Took it home, gave it a Spin-Clean, then a spin. Dead quiet; great sound quality. "Sometime you get the bear ... ."

Love Dave Brubeck! "Time Out" started me on my Jazz vinyl hunt. Have 3 columbia 6 eye mono copies. "Time Out" is my favorite Jazz album followed by Miles Davis "Kind Of Blue" another must have Jazz album.

TCM (Turner Classic Movies) played a documentary on his career a couple months ago, that was great!

Man, this thread's old! My "Time Out" collection. The CD in the paper sleeve is a copy of the 45 edit of "Take Five".

attachment.php

Last edited:
Man, this thread's old! My "Time Out" collection. The CD in the paper sleeve is a copy of the 45 edit of "Take Five".

Did you ever get the 45rpm version Dan? I have the 180g reissue from probably 5 or 6 years ago, and it's a pretty good version. But I'll bet the 45rpm one is amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been searching local shops for an old copy of this but they never have it in.. I've listened to the CD for years, and I have his Greatest Hits LP. But the mix and sound of the original LP cannot be replaced by substitutes.

Interestingly, and I don't mean to be a "downer" at all, I was curious to see that Christopher Dorner mentioned this in his manifesto as the greatest album of all time. That's debatable of course... What's not though, is that this is the most prevalent jazz recording ever - it has been listened to by more than any other jazz recording in history.

My favorites are Kind of Blue, Giant Steps, and Conversations with Myself. However, this is absolutely a must-have LP.

Nope, just finally discovering jazz as I mature. I've already branched out into a bit of opera and classical, so here's one more area I'm discovering. Most of my life I've enjoyed pop and rock music, but maturing does have advantages:D. Next up on my list is Jimmy Smith, Miles Davis, Lionel Hampton, Joey DeFrancesca, and a whole lot more.
Tom

"..and a whole lot more." It only gets worse. Trust me on this. The Jimmy Smith alone will have searching high and low for everyhing you can get your paws on. If you don't own The Sermon already, I think it's a great place to start.:thmbsp:

"..and a whole lot more." It only gets worse. Trust me on this. The Jimmy Smith alone will have searching high and low for everyhing you can get your paws on. If you don't own The Sermon already, I think it's a great place to start.:thmbsp:

All taste aside, the best place to start for Jimmy Smith is undoubtedly the Live At The Club Baby Grand sides. These albums show the amazing spectacle that Smith was when he first entered the scene - complete shock and awe. Frankly, the music and techniques still stand to this day and they remain incredibly relevant.

The Sermon is a good album, but basically a blowing session. If you go deep enough into Smith's discography, it eventually becomes a necessity. Personally I love the albums he cut with Bailey, Turrentine and Burrell - or without Turrentine.

Jimmy%2BSmith%2B-%2BLive%2Bat%2Bthe%2BClub%2BBaby%2BGrand%2Bvol%2B1.jpg
Jimmy%2BSmith%2B-%2BLive%2Bat%2Bthe%2BClub%2BBaby%2BGrand%2BVol%2B2.jpg

After 'Time Out' I started to search out Paul Desmond LPs. To me he was the heart of Brubeck trio.

All taste aside, the best place to start for Jimmy Smith is undoubtedly the Live At The Club Baby Grand sides. These albums show the amazing spectacle that Smith was when he first entered the scene - complete shock and awe. Frankly, the music and techniques still stand to this day and they remain incredibly relevant.

The Sermon is a good album, but basically a blowing session. If you go deep enough into Smith's discography, it eventually becomes a necessity. Personally I love the albums he cut with Bailey, Turrentine and Burrell - or without Turrentine.

Jimmu Smith fans should check out "Jimmy & Wes: The Dynamic Duo". Great album. Came out in 1965. I have the old MGM CD, plus the 200g Speakers Corner LP that Kevin Gray did (He mastered all the Verve titles for SC), but I WANT that original Verve LP. One of these days, I'll have to break down and buy one off Eek!BAY

$(KGrHqRHJ!4E+OLdc+!FBPz+5GePHw~~60_35.JPG

I accidently put on one of my two six-eye mono copies (I'm bragging) last night, thinking it was my stereo copy.
If you like Morello's drumming, WOW! Right smack in the center during "Take Five." -Ken
Yes, Morello's drums on the mono 45 edit kick you right in the gut! Huge sound!

Did you ever get the 45rpm version Dan? I have the 180g reissue from probably 5 or 6 years ago, and it's a pretty good version. But I'll bet the 45rpm one is amazing.
Never got the 45 rpm album version. I'm pretty happy with what I've got.

Nah, the Patriot Act requires we only listen to Southern Gospel (none of this namby-pamby middle of the road Protestant hymns) and certain country artists. Introspective, thought provoking music are certainly not allowed...you might develop a thought!

Why are you so angry?:confused:

ALSO
I thought it interesting that a site that does not allow members to offer their unwanted records or audio equipment for sale here, but would tacitly condone the illegal copying of library CDs; I couldn't believe someone would actually state they made illegal copies so openly. What happened to ethics and morals? :nono:

Jimmu Smith fans should check out "Jimmy & Wes: The Dynamic Duo". Great album. Came out in 1965. I have the old MGM CD, plus the 200g Speakers Corner LP that Kevin Gray did (He mastered all the Verve titles for SC), but I WANT that original Verve LP. One of these days, I'll have to break down and buy one off Eek!BAY

$(KGrHqRHJ!4E+OLdc+!FBPz+5GePHw~~60_35.JPG

I see that around the local used record shops for, at the most, $3.99. You know I snagged one for about 2-3 bucks. Watched someone pick up the second one the other day. It was 2 dollars.

Why are you so angry?:confused:

ALSO
I thought it interesting that a site that does not allow members to offer their unwanted records or audio equipment for sale here, but would tacitly condone the illegal copying of library CDs; I couldn't believe someone would actually state they made illegal copies so openly. What happened to ethics and morals? :nono:

Yes, but check out the age of the post. I believe the statute of limitations has expired.

Back
Top Bottom