Dave Mason

Dr. No-No

I was watching his DVD and started wondering if anyone here is a fan.

I am.

I never knew that he played on " All Along the Watch Tower", with his friend Jimi.

I did know he wrote " Feelin Alright", although I didn't know it had been recorded 300 times.

I'd give the DVD two thumbs up.

I once thought " Alone Together" was the coolest looking LP.

I still do although I don't own a TT.

Regards,

Joe

Ps= Anyone here ever hear of a band called Savoy Brown?

I always prefered his work with Traffic, but he did some cool solo stuff as well.

I'm pretty sure it was 12 string acoustic that Mason played on "Watchtower". Jimi played all the electric guitar parts as well as bass on that one.

mOOn

Ps= Anyone here ever hear of a band called Savoy Brown?

Dr. No... sure I remember them. The Savoy-Brown Blues Band. I can vaguely remember the cover of one of their LPs.

JoZmo, I once went to a concert back in the very early 70's and Fleetwood Mac opened up for Savoy Brown.

Moon, you are right.

BF, it's one of my favorites as well.

Alan, my girlfriend agrees with you.

The DVD has a great interview with him. For a non fan I would rent it. It only has 10 tracks. He is a hard working man though.

Regards,

Joe

Early Savoy Brown was very cool. As most of you probably know, most of the former members of Savoy Brown formed Foghat.

And let us not forget Kim Simmons who's just a bad assed guitarist.

Just my 2 cents.
mOOn

RE: SAVOY BROWN: Two of their best have to be "Street Corner Talking" and "Looking In". They are essential if you like great rock'n'blues IMHO.

Check this out guys: both bands have passed through the Motor City this year. In fact, they played the same venue; a beer sodden joint called the Magic Bag, located in "fashionable Ferndale". Kim Simmonds loves Detroit crowds; he's here at least once, usually twice a year.

I saw Savoy Brown about two years ago there. In fact, I was crusin around back, looking for a parking spot, when this old Econoline pulls up behind the club and parks. Next thing I know Kim Simmonds is getting out with his guitar!! I wish I had something to sign, but I was just star struck and watched them walk in.

As my Blodwyn Pig avatar suggests, I love those old British blues. I prefer they early work with Chris Youlden on vocals, especially "Raw Sienna", but "Blue Matter" and "A Step Further" are good too.

As to Dave Mason, I've always loved "Alone Together"; I still have my multicolored lp from back in the day. He also played on that Delaney and Bonnie live album with Eric Clapton; more good stuff.

Damn! what a great time to be alive back then. Great music, cars and stereos; I feel sorry for todays kids; all they have to look forward to are Backstreet Boys, Neons, and crappy HT box units!
:puke:

Andyman wrote: "I prefer they early work with Chris Youlden on vocals, especially "Raw Sienna", but "Blue Matter" and "A Step Further" are good too."

Yes, those are excellent albums. The first one I purchased was "Looking In". I was probably in 8th or 9th grade when it came out. Man, I loved that old Parrot label! I got hooked on blues bands when I was in the 7th grade. Bought a John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers album, which in turn made me investigate all the great stuff that Chess records out of Chicago had to offer. I liked Zeppelin too, but was appalled (even back then) that they were ripping the old guys off by not giving them credit for songs they had written.

It was indeed a great time to be a kid. My brothers and I got to build some great Dyanaco, Heathkit and Allied hi-fi gear, play around with speaker design, fix up cool muscle cars and listen to all that great music! I guess in a way I was doubly-blessed because my oldest brother was a rock DJ. Back then the record companies sent out tons of free promo 45's, albums, posters etc. and he brought home alot of that stuff. I was always ahead of my friends on the next big hit and the newest groups. :cool:

RE: DAVE MASON...The album shown below has a GREAT version of "All Along The Watchtower" ! (Columbia PC33096)

I certainly agree with the Chris Youlden Savoy Bown. I liked
Looking in, my first also, so I bought A Step Further. Wow!
They just weren't the same after he left. I went to see them @1977 and kept waiting for them to play something great, didn't happen. Youlden wasn't so great on his own either imho.
Carl

Anybody like(d) the group Killing Floor?, the 1st Love Sculpture?

The first time I saw Savoy Brown they were touring with Chicken Shack featuring a gonzo Stan Webb on lead guitar. It was right around the "Looking In" time, early 70s.

It was a great show and ironic in that after the tour, Dave, Tone and Roger "left" and formed Foghat, and the rhythm section of Chicken Shack joined Kim and added Dave Walker on vocals to continue as the "new" Savoy Brown; the one that gave us "Street Corner Talking" and "Hellbound Train" .

I've got the new "Strange Dreams" CD here on library loan, and it is, unfortunately, nothing special. I'd still recommend a live show though. The small club is super for intimacy, Kim's still a player and they do cover some great old stuff. At that last show, I was up at the edge of the stage for the encore and Kim was slapping hands and tossing picks; try that at an auditorium!:guitar:

I could have seen the worst show they ever did. They were kind of boring is all really. A time with no direction maybe. Both those later albums don't do much for me I must admit. I lost interest in Aerosmith after I saw them in 1975 or 6, I sure am in the minority there!
I love small venues too. I'm still stoked at the Procol Harum show I recently saw at the Fillmore. P. Tree the next night was great too!
Carl

Ah, I still love Savoy Brown's "Street Corner Talking".

I have it on RTR and it's wearing thin. Dave Mason's "Alone Together" is a winner.

However, now I'm on the hunt for "Looking In".

I love this forum ! :D

The guitar work on Dave Mason....'Look At Me.. Look At You'.. is one of those all time guitar solos you never forget........:D

Last edited:
Alone Together is one of the all time greats from the 70's......He was one of the "smoothest" guitar players from that era......

dudes

am the proud owner of the Alone Together special edition lp with the COLORED VINYL DISC!!!

:D :cool:

shrinkboy

Back
Top Bottom