1. Rest in Peace Paul (Kegger) If you would like to help the family in this time of great sorrow and need, you may donate on their GoFundme page: https://www.gofundme.com/mckechnie-medical-and-funeral-fund?
    Dismiss Notice

david sanborn--one from the heart

Discussion in 'Music Reviews' started by hifitommy, Jun 19, 2017 at 12:50 AM.

1. this is one i haven't listened to in a very long time. i had developed an aversion to 'contemorary and/or smooth jazz' it used to be that there was jazz that was smooth and then later, the more commercialized SMOOTH JAZZ which coincided with new age, sometimes played on the same station.

i got to really like dave sanborn on the earlier michael franks albums. michael always had great personnel lists on his records and even though he was smooth, it didn't REALLY fit in with smooth jazz. for a while, he played along with that trend because it was selling big time. he broke away somewhat and moved back east and sold on his own label, still with good jazz roots.

for a long time, the only dave sanborn album i liked was-another hand-on which he played REAL jazz and they were always in the cheap cd bins because people got them home and it didn't sound like 'dave sanborn' who the record companies told to 'play like dave sanborn'. that meant to play the new songs exactly like the ones before and after it. a whole bunch of them were all doing it, larry carlton, lee ritenhour, bob james, and others were all cashing in on the TREND.

well, one from the heart came from the era just before SMOOTH JAZZ, and you can hear it in the innovative ways it is played and CHECK OUT the personnel list! chock full of great musicians including dr john, mino cinelu, marcus miller, paulhino de ccosta, and many others.

it was enjoyable to flash back to when the jazz that was smooth was still prominent. this was on LP so i can't say anything about the cd sound, just the music. enjoy.

2. daveg3588

daveg3588 Toy addict Subscriber

Tommy, do you mean "Straight to the Heart" , if so I agree, Love & Happiness is one of the best cuts.

3. ok, i had a brain fart, at 72 these things happen. actually it is-a change of heart-warner bros 25479-1 ( https://www.discogs.com/David-Sanborn-A-Change-Of-Heart/master/43522 ) i had a nice listen to some skilled playing. love and happiness is a great tune by him but it is not on this album. david's remark about playing like himself was made at a smooth jazz concert that my daughter bought me, knowing that i like jazz but not realizing my aversion to it. now i call it SMOOV JAZZ.

if you can find some bob james recordings from around 1962, you will wonder how he wandered into the rut of smoovness. he is all over the CTI releases of real jazz.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017 at 6:11 PM
  4. daveg3588

daveg3588 Toy addict Subscriber

5. soundmig

soundmig AK Subscriber Subscriber

hifitommy .... I'll have to check that one out. I agree with you on "another hand" as it is one of my favorite Sanborn albums. Another Hand is not too "commercial" and has some great musicianship within.

6. dosmalo

dosmalo T-Totaled Subscriber

David Sanborn.jpg This is my only offering but it is one of my go-to albums for vinyl jazz. Everything else is on disc.
    Great album IMO.