Day Sequerra Tuners

Negotiableterms

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Subscriber
Does anyone know a lot about Day Sequerra tuners? TIC has very little info on them, and it's easy to see why when you look on the Audiogon blue book. From 1985 onward, the model names are bewilderingly similar. :scratch2:

I'm trying to find out if any of them have a remote control, and if there are clear preferences between models. I've been hunting for a 1998 Broadcast Standard, but only because it was the last model, and I can't find anything to tell me if any of the earlier models are preferable. :scratch2:

Any info at all will be appreciated!

The two I have seen and heard did not have Remotes.

Heh...silence again, I see.

I seem to have quite a knack for starting uninteresting threads. Now, if only I could figure out a way to make money off it...

Tuners

It is not that the thread is uninteresting IMO the tuners you speak of are so expensive and rare l doult even the most passionate tuner person on this site would have any experience. I've sent you some info in a pm. It at least gives the dates , models and prices hope it helps a little. Take care Mac.

Thanks!!

bigmacc said:
It is not that the thread is uninteresting IMO the tuners you speak of are so expensive and rare l doubt even the most passionate tuner person on this site would have any experience.

Mac- You're right, they're rare and costly, which of course is why I have no experience with them and am hunting for someone who does! It's only recently that my cash flow has improved enough to be able to afford these silly things, so I'm lost most of the time. Back when this stuff was new, I couldn't afford a power cord, let alone the unit. Now that things are better (and things could always get worse soon enough), I'm kinda starting from scratch at finding out about them. Anyway, thanks for the info!

Think Macc hit the nail on the head for this one. Not many on AK or even on the entire web that can or want to spend 3-5000.00 for a tuna.

I was fortunate enough to spend a few moments with both the old and new versions of the Sequerra and while it was an impressive tuna I felt there was no reason it warranted the price they demanded. Sorry i could not be of more help.

grumpy said:
Not many on AK or even on the entire web that can or want to spend 3-5000.00 for a tuna.

Grumpy-

I don't WANT to spend that much either, it's just this unfortunate obsession to experience all the really cool things that I wanted but couldn't afford back when they were new. It ain't logical, or normal, but then neither is the rest of life! Thanks for the help!

Buy yourself a mint Sansui TU-919 or a Philips 6731. Either one would run you no more that about $600-$700 max. Have it aligned and the audio path caps replaced by someone like punkerX. That would probably not set you back more than $400 with shipping both ways. Finally, spend another $250 to $300 on a good antenna, rotator, and cable. Total investment , approximately $1350 - $1400. Forget about the Day Sequerra, save well over a thousand dollars, and be in tuner nirvana.

No, no, no...

bob adams said:
Buy yourself a mint Sansui TU-919...

You guys are missing the point. My fault, it's a weird point.

I already did the "really great tuner" thing. I have a TU-919 and a TU-9900 (both fully moded by APS) and a T-109V, and a KT-917, and a... you get the idea. Any one of these is arguably better than any Sequerra.

The goal now is to get hold of the super-amazing thing I couldn't have back then, now that I can afford one. It's a catching up on missed experiences concept, not a competition for the "best".

You can laugh, while a middle-aged man foolishly relives his childhood, impractical though it is. :yes:

"You guys are missing the point. My fault, it's a weird point."

No, you clearly stated what information you needed. I just went off on my own tangent because I missed your point. My fault for not reading your post all the way through. Good luck on your quest.

The Big, The Bad and The Ugly

grumpy said:
Then why not go for a TU-X1 :)

I keep toying with that idea, but the darn thing is huge (meaning it won't fit), ugly (meaning it's ugly), and doesn't actually seem to outperform a fully moded TU-919. The TU-X1 is very hard to upgrade, and the difference never seemed worthwhile to me. I'm sure I could be talked into it though! :yes:

My TU-X1 stomps the shit outta an APS modded 919 and 9900

Moded?

Grumpy-

What did you (and Echowars?) do to your TU-X1? I understand they're amazing when moded, but that the mods are really hard to do.

I have a KT-917 that isn't moded, basically because it was so hard to find someone with time and willingness to do all the critical mods, including switching out the op amps.

Anyway, I still wanna Sequerra, because the Panalyzer looks more intriguing than any other tuner. :yes:

Grumpy's TU-X1 was aligned by me, some previous hack repair attempts were taken care of and the power supply was upgraded. That's it. TU-X1 is another one of those tuners that uses proprietary combined audio/muting chip that makes it hard to upgrade the complete audio path and filter blocks like the TU-9900 that make IF mods hard to do.

Guess I understand your affliction, if I had the money and didn't have other priorities for my system. I'd be looking for a Sequoia

As far as your 917 goes, click the Radio X sponsor link at the bottom of the page.

X

Thanks!

Punker-

Thanks!! It's strange, many of the things I'm looking for turn out to be right under my nose on the AK home page. I've become so jaded with internet advertising that I automatically ignore everything, including the good stuff!

I'll send Radio X an e-mail and see if he wants to try doing all the fancy upgrades to a 917. One of the problems is that there seem to be two camps on what the right upgrades are, and I've no idea which is right, so it will be an interesting process.

Thanks again!

Punker is RadioX and I am sure he will try his best to help you :)

The Day Sequerra is very cool indeed. I've had a Studio (original version with scope) since 93. I recall that the Panalyzer was over 3X the price of the Studio and don't think remotes were ever available. Good hunting.

I have some second hand info for you. The dealer where I buy almost all of my stereo equipment from, is a father and son business. The father is a doctor and a music lover who has owned a HUGE amount of stereo gear. He had a Day Sequerra tuner and he said it sounded every bit as good as the best from Magnum Dynalab but he had reliability problems with his Day Sequerra tuner. This is only one unit so I don't know if there is a general problem with Day Sequerra or this was an isolated case.

I am also thinking of dumping money into a premium tuner and I like what I see from Magnum Dynalab (except the price :) ). The Magnum Dynalab tuners have a life time service contract which it will only cost you $75 plus shipping per repair(no charge first 2 years). Also they have a great upgrade policy. I was thinking the MD106T would be the one to get but the retail price is $4000 and add $350 for remote with 5 presets. I may end up getting the McIntosh MR85 to save some money and match the rest of my gear. I never thought a $2000 tuner would save me money. :D

Victor

Back
Top Bottom