Day Sequerra Tuners

Mr-85?

Victor said:
I never thought a $2000 tuner would save me money.

Victor-

An MR 85 can be had for a LOT less than $2000, but to be honest, the only reasons to buy one are if you want two zones from one tuner and to be able to use a single remote with the rest of your Mc gear. Don't get me wrong, it's a competent tuner, but it's not worth the price, even for about $1200 used.

Grumpy is right about vintage tuners being better. His TU-X1 will cost more than an MR85, but even fully moded a TU-919 will cost less, and will completely outperform the 85. Go to the Tuner Information Center (just Google "FM Tuners") and take a look at their rankings. The only difficulty I have with their evaluations is that for my main listening system, I insist on a remote, and few of the vintage tuners have one, including the Sequerra, it seems!

Good luck!

Negotiableterms said:
Victor-

An MR 85 can be had for a LOT less than $2000, but to be honest, the only reasons to buy one are if you want two zones from one tuner and to be able to use a single remote with the rest of your Mc gear. Don't get me wrong, it's a competent tuner, but it's not worth the price, even for about $1200 used.

Grumpy is right about vintage tuners being better. His TU-X1 will cost more than an MR85, but even fully moded a TU-919 will cost less, and will completely outperform the 85. Go to the Tuner Information Center (just Google "FM Tuners") and take a look at their rankings. The only difficulty I have with their evaluations is that for my main listening system, I insist on a remote, and few of the vintage tuners have one, including the Sequerra, it seems!

Good luck!

I agree with all this except I disagree with a lot of the rankings on the Tuner Info Center. In my opinion it is too hard to rank classic tuners because this depends too much on condition and if said tuners were upgraded with modern parts (caps).

Also high on my list of tuner options is my dealer has a MR71 in great condition which sounds great but does not have good reception and the musical detail is a little fuzzy. I was thinking of buying it and sending it out for align and repairs which should cost about $1200-$1400. It is hard to spend that much on a tuner without knowing what the final results will be.

Victor.

Anyone who takes what Tuner info says as the Gospel is a Lemming. Its been covered here many times before....

grumpy said:
Anyone who takes what Tuner info says as the Gospel is a Lemming. Its been covered here many times before....

Yes, Yes, quite the topic around here several years ago. The author even come and posted for awhile and try and explain/justify his critiera and procedures. While no one here questioned his love of tuners but his methods and conclutions were all over the map. I guess we were a little hard on him and he finally stopped posting. That's not normally how the AK group treated visitiors but he got under the skin of a few of us, too much golden ear complex for me :thumbsdn:

Lefty

Lefty

Your still alive ! :)

Still making tube wind chimes ? Bet they would go over well with some here now :banana:

Oh course, stay under the radar mostly. This board has grown and matured so much that I really don't have much to add or comment on these days... However with some blasts from the past such as the famous tuner shootouts I just have to comment.

Hows life going?

Lefty

This board has grown and matured so much that I really don't have much to add or comment on these days...

Never stops me!

In fact, here's my second gratuitous comment in this very thread. Try a Sherwood S-2000 or S-3000 (mono) tuner and save $1k or more. My S-3000 is the best sounding tuner I've ever owned (or heard, for that matter), and it cost me all of $35 (in its original box).

Lefty said:
Oh course, stay under the radar mostly. This board has grown and matured so much that I really don't have much to add or comment on these days... However with some blasts from the past such as the famous tuner shootouts I just have to comment.

Hows life going?

Lefty

Life's been good for the most part. I am still digging tunas i cannot afford but since an X1 came into my life I stopped buying more tunas. Hell i have even thought of getting rid of several. LOL.

Which Ones?

grumpy said:
I am still digging tunas i cannot afford...

Being a newbie, I didn't know that TIC had been a problem here, and I didn't know that Grumpy was a tuner-guy. Ah, the perils of late arrival!

I don't want to start any kind of controversy, but Grumpy, which tuners are you interested in, and which do you think are the top tuners, as opposed to TIC's list (which I don't entirely agree with either)?

I have no problem with tuner info. I just don't care for the way they tested tunas. OK that and they will not assume any responsibility for the huge price increase in the tuner market.

Really I have no beef with them and they are welcome to come here at any time.

My point is listen to and test these for yourself and don't spout their top tuna list like the Gospel..

I love tuners and was going through tons of em for years. I prefer the accuphase, Sansui and yes even Dyna lab to name a few.

My take on TIC is a little different than some of the other opinions here. An A/B tuner shootout is not a bad way of testing two tuners assuming both are in good repair. What I had a hard time with was where tuner B (the loser of the shootout) could be relegated down to say 37th place on the grading list based on the recollections of shootouts that may have taken weeks or months earlier. How could anyone do that correctly without a well defined methodology to the grading system. But you have to admit, it was always stated right up front that the method wasn't scientific. And if the general public wants to take everything TIC says as Gospel is that TIC's fault?

TIC definitely affected the price of tuners. There was a day when Jim (the shootout guy) lived and breathed the modified Kenwood KT-7500. Back then unmodified units would sell for $170 to $190 all the time. After one stock 7500 faired rather poorly in the shootout the prices began to drop off. Now on a good day you can get one for less than a hundred bucks. The same could be said for the Sansui TU-717. The prices have dropped off from the highs of $230 to $250 you would see when that tuner was ranked up there about number 7 or 8 early in the shootouts. But those tuners are "radios" for the masses (me included). The stuff still at the top of the TIC list might as well be fabricated out of Unobtainium. TIC did have a part in that. But so did the quality of the tuners. My biggest regret is I did not buy that mint Philips 6731 and matching amp on eBay when I saw it. Both units combined went for something less than $450. After the TIC shootout you couldn't get the tuner for less than $500.

Magnum Dynalab tuners may be a bit overrated. I've 4 unmodified tuners and rank them as follows.

1. Day Sequerra Studio
2. TU-9900
3. MD-108
4. KT-8300

Got the Magnum last summer and was very disappointed. The Studio was without question the better tuner in all areas. Then last fall saw a picture of the TU-9900 and wanted one just for its look. It was in an Audiogon tuner upgrade ad, so I did some exploring and came across fmtunerinfo.com. A fun site, but not to be taken too seriously - like all things audio. Bought the Sansui for its look and to see how much a modification would enhance its performance. I have been pleasantly suprised with its stock performance. The Kenwood was recently acquired to be modified and needs it based on its stock sound.

In stock form the 9900 is nearly unlistenable to me. Modded it is a superb tuna.

Tunas!

Grumpy-

Thanks. Out of what I've got, my favorites are the T-109V and the modified TU-919. I'm hoping that the KT-917 will out-do them both once fully moded, but in its old stock form, it doesn't. I'm PMing Punker X.

Victor-

The Sequerra listed on eBay is a bit curious. The seller claims it's only 6 years old, but the "FM Reference" was built in 1991. In 1997, there was a "Reference Classic", which was still in a few stores in 1999. The one he's selling doesn't say "Classic" anywhere, and I don't know any other way to tell the difference, or which might be a better unit. In either case, he says it doesn't have the Panalyzer, and I'm determined to have one of those!

Back
Top Bottom