1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Dayton audio 652 speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by 91firebird, Jan 13, 2018.

1. 91firebird

91firebird Active Member

Well had a amazon gift card so got a pair of Dayton audio 652 and a pair of 652 air speakers.well I must
    Say for 50.00 bucks a pair they are hard to beat.the air is a little better highs than the other but they
    Should.put them in my home theature and regular music room,the best money I have spent in a while.
    Compaired to my polk t15 boston a40 a30 advent,pioneer sansui ar 2way speakers they hold there own!!

StimpyWan likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. gdmoore28

gdmoore28 Super Member

I picked up a pair of the 652 Air speakers with the Heil tweet, as well. I'd say that they are quite competent for the price. Bass response is not exactly . . . er . . . abundant, but quite adequate. But that little tweeter is a sweetie pie.

I can see them performing remarkably well with a subwoofer and in HT use. Or sub/sat HIFI use. They are certainly an excellent buy for the money. I would recommend them without hesitation.

GeeDeeEmm

[​IMG]

jwrauch likes this.
  3. Grenadeslio

Grenadeslio Super Member

Recently helped out a couple of people setting up modest systems, one with the B652 AIR, the other the T652 AIR, both are ecstatic about the sound.

The little B652 Air sounds way better than any $49/pair speaker has any right to, still haven't had the chance to hear the tower version I set Cooper up with, will report the results ASAP

4. Hajidub

Hajidub Chihuahua/Pug = Chug Subscriber

Did they correct the polarity issue with AIR's? Older ones, like mine, required a polarity swap in the AMT wiring to remove the 2.5K Hz null point. I'd also recommend adding additional stuffing to the cabinet. I also upgraded the woofer with a beefier PE one. Still requires a small powered sub for full enjoyment.

5. awillia6

awillia6 Super Member

Didja keep the binding posts, at least?

6. safebet

safebet Long live vintage! Subscriber

I don't trust parts express ever since getting burned on the supposed great 652's. I thought they were horrible but learned much later that they had production issues which I guess affected mine. Just taking up space in the cellar now.

Happy your experiences have been better.

7. Grenadeslio

Grenadeslio Super Member

These are not $300 dollar speakers, never claimed to be, but at $49 for the little Air they're a steal.

So cheap in fact they beg for tweaks, first make sure the drivers are tight (this is true of any speaker), could Dynamat the interior, and or add batting, maybe tweak the crossover.

Sure you can change the drivers, but I find it's more fun to see how much I can improve the speaker, because at that point why not just build your own, Parts Express sells great kits, better cabinets etc.

jwrauch likes this.
  8. nfafan

nfafan Well-Known Member

The ZReviews guy on Youtube that does all the headphone and "near-field speakers" reviews

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3XdYJjWliOdKuZMNaTiP8Q

Had several reviews of the 652s and found the same thing - early ones were good values, then a run of them went out of PE that were just garbage before PE affected corrections.

When the 652 "Airs" went on sale a few weeks back at under $50.00/pr, I fought temptation but held on as I just have zero use for anymore little speakers around the house.

nexus and safebet like this.
  9. johnda

johnda AK Subscriber Subscriber

The thing to understand is that when the poor performing 652 speakers were found out to be a design error, Dayton replaced them at no cost to the buyer.

jwrauch, teal'c and awillia6 like this.
  10. gdmoore28

gdmoore28 Super Member

Parts Express is king when it comes to customer service. You need to contact them and explain the situation. As JohnDA points out, PE did the right thing once the production errors came to their attention. Explain to them that you read that PE was replacing the defective product, and that you have a pair of them. I'll bet they will send you some correct ones. Certainly would not hurt to try.

GeeDeeEmm

jwrauch and Gnesen like this.
  11. Grenadeslio

Grenadeslio Super Member

And most likely won't even ask for the return of the old ones.

gdmoore28 likes this.

12. jwrauch

jwrauch AK Subscriber Subscriber

I've always had good luck with PE !!